Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Run pump while swimming or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Run pump while swimming or not?

hello all! just a quick question for anybody?
    i have read multiple answers for this, but am i supposed to run pump during swim time/people in pool?
    i guess i just assumed so seeing how people moving around in the pool would kick up debris for the pump to filter? i just want to make sure im using my equipment correctly.
    any advice would be great! thanks
    New to Everything Here!
    18x52 intex ag pool / 2100 gph sand filter pump / vinyl / 6981 gallons / Taylor K-2006
    Pool cover /Intex Wall Mount Skimmer 58949e

2. Back To Top    #2

Sacramento, CA

Re: Run pump while swimming or not?

Your call, some do some don't. If your pool is sanitized and filtered it really isn't necessary. I usually run the waterfall. My pump is running during most of the day either filtering or running the solar.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Land O Lakes, FL

There is no specific need to. The pumps primary job is to circulate water and to move it through the filter. The 1st part of that happens on its own with people in the water. The 2nd part can happen on the next cycle.

Some run their pumps during swimming due to water features that they may have like water falls or bubblers.

In my case, the way my pool is setup. Since bather load adds chlorine demand and when the pump is on, it is generating chlorine with the Salt Water Chlorine Generator, if at the time we are swimming, the pump is not scheduled to run, I may turn it on so that it generates some extra Chlorine.

I also have bubblers and waterfalls that we may like to have on.
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Same as above, I like to make chorine when it's needed, so pump runs are daytime.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If the sun is out my solar is on and the pump is running. Chances are we are also in the pool .

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!