Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing return lines - good idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing return lines - good idea?

My inground pool seems to have two leaks - one in each return line (vinyl liner pool). Given I have a 3ft cement deck all around the pool, the pool technician who found the leak suggested installing new return lines given the current lines are about 30 years old. Instead of breaking the cement decking to pass new lines, he suggested digging a 1 foot deep path just outside the cement deck in the grass and only breaking the cement when connecting the lines to the jet in the pool. I thought 1 foot was not enough given I am in Canada, but he said given I empty my lines in the winter, it didn't matter that they were only 1 foot deep instead of the usual 3ft or so. I was curious to know if anyone sees any issues with this solution? It's definately much more cost effective and I like the idea of having my return lines in a spot that is easier to access.

Second question - he is going to run a line to each jet, connect them to a T and from the T, run a line to the machine (all underground). I was thinking of running each jet individually to the machines, with the T placed in an accessible spot at the machines. Any issue in doing this?

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2
    NW Ohio

Re: Replacing return lines - good idea?

Assuming the pool is winterized correctly, the depth of the return lines shouldn't make a difference. Just make sure those returns are blown out really good and plugged at the pool end.

Assuming when you say machine, you mean your pump/filter - As for running one line with a T to each return, versus individual 'home run' lines, there certainly is some advantage to being able to control the individual returns with a Jandy 3-way valve or something,, but I wouldn't say that is a huge deal. I have my 3 returns as individual home runs and have 2 Jandy valves controlling the 3 lines,, but rarely do I adjust them.

You will obviously have a seam where the new concrete is poured over the returns (and the concrete deck color will be slightly different), if that isn't a big deal to you I would say go for it.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing return lines - good idea?

I would run individual lines from the returns to your pad. This way if there is ever a leak in one you can isolate it. The cost can't be much more.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping