Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd TA test result...

1. Back To Top    #1

Odd TA test result...

Hi All,

I opened my pool today and ran the first round of tests. This was another year of failed pool cover.
    A branch poked a hole in the cover which allowed the 20+ cubic feet of leaves to make a lovely tea out of the water. The water is clear but dark. All that said, when running the TA test the instructions state the sample should turn green after adding the dye. Mine turned red immediately. I interpret this to mean my TA is essentially 0. Is this correct.

FC 0
    CC .5
    pH 7
    TA 0?
    CH 120
    CYA 0
    Borates 15
    Salt 1400

temp ~80F
    25000 gal IG gunite plaster. Built in spa, built 1984.
    48 SF Hayward DE-4800 filter
    1 hp Hayward super pump
    3/4 hp Polaris PB-4 booster pump, Polaris 380
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Odd TA test result...

Here's the full instructions which may be helpful Pool School - Total Alkalinity

- - - Updated - - -

testing instructions, that is
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

It is impossible to have PH 7 and TA 0.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

There are some pointers in the extended testing instructions at the bottom of the page I linked.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It is impossible to have PH 7 and TA 0.
    I put 7 because that is as low as my test vial goes. The color suggested it was lower but I don't know how much lower. I'll be attempting to raise the pH tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

That was helpful, Thanks.
    1 hp Hayward super pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, the sooner the better. It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. PH below 7.0 can dissolve your heater's heat exchanger and put lots of copper in the water and stain the pool.

More here on how to raise PH and other chemicals. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Agreed. A pH at (or possibly below) minimum testing range is a "fix it now before anything else" issue.

8. Back To Top    #8

Zero or negative TA is usually caused by extended use of trichlor. Zero or negative TA means that the ph is below 4.5.

Try the test again. When the sample goes pink, use R-0006 base demand to titrate from red to green. Post how many drops of base demand it takes to turn the sample from pink to green.

Multiply number of drops by 6.3 to see how negative the TA is.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Zero or negative TA is usually caused by extended use of trichlor. Zero or negative TA means that the ph is below 4.5.

Try the test again. When the sample goes pink, use R-0006 base demand to titrate from red to green. Post how many drops of base demand it takes to turn the sample from pink to green.

Multiply number of drops by 6.3 to see how negative the TA is.
    Thanks to all who have responded. I reran my test this morning with quite different result that I can't explain. The first set was taken right after removing the winter cover. There were a LOT of leaves on the cover and there was a small (2") hole in the cover. The water was clear but dark like tea. The deep end has a green film down low, brushing helped, vacuuming didn't touch it.

My test numbers from last year, 7/15, were CH 150, TA 110

The latest today are:
    FC 11.5
    CC .5
    pH 8
    TA 150
    CH 150
    Temp 84F

So, I don't know what happened with the first set but things appear controllable now.
    One not, my pump sprung a couple leaks over the winter which played into the mindset of really low pH. .

Thanks All!
    1 hp Hayward super pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

PH at 8 makes a lot more sense with TA at 150. Lower your PH to 7.2 and SLAM, SLAM to kill the algae.

After, or during, raise CH up to 250 ppm. More on that here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    PH at 8 makes a lot more sense with TA at 150. Lower your PH to 7.2 and SLAM, SLAM to kill the algae.

After, or during, raise CH up to 250 ppm. More on that here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    In progress.
    1 hp Hayward super pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I bet you're already on this. I would double-check to be sure the CYA is at zero, and then raise it to 30 PPM for the SLAM.