Waters Choice, Enzyme pool care!?!

Jun 17, 2016
Greenwood, Mo
Fellow pool owners,

First off I wish I would have came across this forum 2 years ago, what a great resource! Then let me say I am no longer a fan of the pool store i use to visit, to frequently I might add. So now leading into my concern and question. My above ground pool that we acquired with our house two years ago is about 15 years old. We converted the pool over to enzymes or waters choice with the hope of keeping chlorine levels lower than the 3-5ppm. Unfortunately, we continually had issues the TA and FC and seemed to be shocking way to much, probably once a week.

Let me also add that the last two years we were using a 10-12 year old hayward sand filter/pump that is now done for. We are replacing the old girl with a Hayward cartridge filter and 2 speed pump. My wife and I are big on not using a ton of chemicals, hence the trying to get the enzyme pool going. So to my question... Is the whole enzyme, waters choice "idea" just a theory that doesn't work? Has anyone out there perfected using waters choice in there above ground pool?

Thanks so much for the advice,
Still a pool newb after two seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here. :)

I have no experience or knowledge to offer about enzyme systems, though you can use the search feature (upper right) to find threads about those systems, including tests for improvement, such as the one linked at post #8 in Enzyme Methods?

The majority of people here share your view on minimizing chemical usage and follow Trouble Free Pool Care. This is a good description:
TFPC for Beginners

Welcome to TFP!

I haven't missed very many posts in the last few years but if there was one about someone using enzymes I missed it. :)

We are firm believers that chlorine is by far the best way to sanitize the pool. Using CYA and a proper chlorine to CYA ratio will significantly buffer the harshness of the chlorine, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. We'd be happy to teach you more.

Here is some more info on alternative sanitizers. Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

Wow. I've never heard of using "enzymes" in a pool. The entire website seems more geared to hot tubs/spas that change the water more often than a pool ever does.

Sort of scary some of their claims. Looks expensive too....for far less sanitized water. Ugh.

I no nothing about the enzyme treatments... As far as chemicals go the vast majority of what goes into my pool also gets used to wash clothing to. With the pool well balanced it doesn't smell like chlorine, or ammonia, or anything else really. It's just crystal clear.

Please don't use your experience with "pool store" water as a guide. I knew nothing about pool chemistry 1 year ago. The methods here have gotten me to the point where I do very little hard work on my pool. Just a few minutes every day or two. I get asked if it's safe to swim in because it doesn't smell like chlorine! All of this is opposite of what my experience was with a pool store.

Unlike the pool store no one here wants you to buy anything other than a test kit, and that's so you KNOW what's in your water. Give it a try it simply works.

I went on their website because I had never heard of enzyme treatment, and while at this time I would not consider another way to manage my pool and I can't imagine there will ever be a time when that becomes a consideration, my job in the real world has a focus on water so I am always drawn towards learning something new/additional about managing it.

There are no, what I refer to as MSDS Sheets, for the product; new jargon for MSDS is now SDS. I was not able to find a link to those sheets on their site or on the web. Knowing what I am putting into our waters is important to me, those I love the most are in those waters, and a couple of my pets actually drink that same water ~ I am not in a position to blindly dump anything into our pool ~ I have too much on the line to be doing that. When I looked through their site sanitation became a concern for me. We have a heavy bather load here, sanitation is a priority for us & when I noticed their system offered a test kit testing for "detects many types of coli-form and non-coliform bacteria, including E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, species of Shigell, Enterobacter, and more". How they glossed over "and more" for something so important is a red flag for me. What they do list is important as well. The lack of MSDS/SDS as well as minimal discussion/glossing over on the most important factor, sanitation, to me as a Mom, screams Danger Will Robinson. Did they provide you with MSDS/ SDS Sheets, did you speak with them specifically about keeping the water sanitized, how that is accomplished? What products do they use to for sanitation and what are the ingredients of those products?

You mention wanting to keep Chlorine levels lower than 3-5 ppm and not being big on using a ton of chemicals to maintain your water. The method this forum uses, utilizing a CYA of 30 would keep you in the zone of 2-4 ppm Free Chlorine. It's vitally important for you to understand that is what keeps your water sanitized. Without sanitation pool water becomes a cesspool, unsafe for you and your wife to swim in.

For people who get their home water from a well Liquid Chlorine is actually used to treat those wells and the coliform they should test for. Coliform is an indicator. If coliform has found its way to the water supply that means the door is open for other bacteria to enter by the same means. With a swimming pool the door/pathway is the steps you have put in for people to enter the water. The door on a swimming pool remains wide open (a pool in and of itself is an "open system, people walk or jump right in, things drop in from the sky) and it is up to the pool owner/person who manages those waters to be the door-keep, maintaining proper sanitation. Without getting too graphic a person who enters your pool with poor hygiene habits, can potentially be walking bacteria/possibly ecoli just to name one most will recognize right into your pool. A child in a swim diaper can deposit bacteria directly into your pool. That's serious business. If your waters aren't sanitized, if you aren't "keeping the door" there can be serious repercussions. How you treat that water, the products you use are of utmost importance. On the forum you will see algae being discussed and a concern, but there are far greater concerns. We are fortunate with this method that we are able to minimize those instances with bacterial, but it isn't by luck ~ it's by choice of method we use. I will seriously caution you to dig a bit deeper into proper sanitation. Your health, your wife's health and the people you invite of to swim ~ their health depends on it.

There is no quick fix/ no magic cure. You can't blindly dump bottles into a pool and expect a miracle. As a pool owner and maintainer it falls squarely on your shoulders to provide a safe and healthy environment for people to enjoy. That is a huge responsibility and one I think should be taken seriously. There are many methods people use to manage their waters, some safer than others. If you spend a bit of time looking into the methods offered and digging in a bit deeper on a fact finding mission I think you will soon learn this method is covers the important bases you have an obligation to cover. I know for me it did so in a manner that I am absolutely comfortable with. I never have to worry my water is unsafe or the reason someone is sick after a day in the sun. I am able to monitor levels at all times and maintain sanitary waters. If the Board of Health walked in this morning I am able to tell them exactly what I have put in the water, and provide any backup documentation/ SDS they would ask for the moment they asked. I am able to speak with them about why I made the choices I have made in regards to the products in my pool. I am able to test the waters right beside them with the added bonus of understanding what they are testing for because I have taken the time to educate myself. Additionally, there is never a chlorine smell, our skin is in perfect condition, there are no hidden dangers ~ nothing is able to hide in my water, it is pristine and it is tested daily. It is managed easily, I know exactly what is in that water at all times, I manage it for pennies a day and peace of mind that you cannot put a price on.

I am not an expert I am Average Joe forum user who stumbled in here like the majority of other people. There are experts on this forum, speak to them ~ pick their brains, they will discuss all concerns with you openly and honestly. Nice people here, who are informed, take advantage of that. Do that with the other methods as well ~ dig in, and I have every confidence after your quest for knowledge has been completed you will come back to this forum and take control of your waters.

I am sorry this is a bit lengthier than I had wanted it to be, if I have stepped out of line with anything I have said please feel free to admin whatever parts a moderator feels necessary, but healthy water is so important to me and my family, this is how I view the big picture and I wanted to share my thoughts and it took a bit longer than I had hoped it would.

Best of Luck to you and I do hope you get things turned around in a manner that you are comfortable with, that is healthy and easy for you to maintain.

Sorry I am just now replying, need to fix my email the replies to the thread were going into my junk mail. Thank you everyone for the responses! DKT113 no need to apologize at all! I love it when people get on their "soap boxes". Even if we don't fully agree with someone's passion we can always learn something from it. But in this case I do agree with what you are saying. I have 5 kids and my wife works in healthcare and I did as well for 18 years, going into full time ministry now. Anyways, we would both agree with sanitization being extremely important but we are also concerned with any chemical that we are exposed to. Yes chemicals can help assist with caring for our bodies, aka medication and chlorine, but there is always that fine line we can step over. Stepping over that line we can cause massive problems to our health. We always strive to feed and care for ourselves along with our family the closest thing to "natural" as possible. The claims that water's choice makes with maintaining FC at 0.5ppm rings true to our desire. Although, the more I have dug into it over the last few months I am seeing that it maybe just a desire that will not be fulfilled. Pool = chlorine, period and we have to accept that. Reading through multiple posts on this website TFP seems to be our best choice for how we want to treat our pool and care for our family. So thank you all again for the time away from your families to be apart of this forum and help educate people to the real way a pool should be cared for.

FYI I have a call into the owner at waters choice, Tom, to have a conversation about his product. Also, I purchased the test kit that is recommended on here and love it!

Nice post DKT113!

Just for other folks who will wander into this thread in search of enzyme vs chlorine info. Chlorine level should be set based on the CYA level in the pool and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC should be maintained above minimum at all times to keep the pool sanitary. When FC drops below minimum the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is too slow to fully prevent person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. Bacteria colonies can double in size an hour or two, depending on the bacteria, if they are not killed quickly enough. Many people forget or never learn that chlorine is in the pool to sanitize it and make it safe, not to kill algae. Killing algae is just a side benefit. You can bet a buck or two that if there is algae in the pool there is bacteria growing in the pool at exponential rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.