Is this stuff any good

http://www.costco.com/Clorox®-Pool%26Spa™-Shock-Plus-24-pack.product.100248589.html

I'm thinking about buying a box of this cause that my Costco I can get it for $55 a box is it any good I have a SWG

I think you've been around long enough to know that we never recommend using these types of products because, at the very least, they attempt to adjust too many water parameters at once and typically cause more problems than they're worth. A quick look at the MSDS reveals that it's just low strength dichlor (in other words, if you really want to use dichlor you can get it more concentrated than this product) mixed with a cheap aluminum floc (aluminum sulfate) and borax. Flocs should only be used in pools that have [EDIT] sand filters that can vacuum to waste [END-EDIT] and they have very specific requirements in terms of pH adjustment, time for mixing and settling time to allow all the floc'd particulates to sink to the bottom. Sulfates are generally not good for pools and can lead to early failure of SWG cells. SO on that basis alone, I would not use it.

Only if you want to give yourself a headache with exceasive stabilizer in the not too distant future. I learned this the HARD WAY!

Buy bleach instead to shock with if you must.... I would have a goal of getting that SWG level figured out. Then you will only need bleach if there is some unusual event that causes an algae bloom.

I saw you have an indoor pool. This stuff will add CYA to your pool and quickly make it too high. Each 1 lb will add 3 ppm to your pool and, for an indoor pool, you want the CYA to be 10-20 ppm. If you use the whole box your CYA will be 72, assuming you're starting with zero. You'd then need to drain and replace about 75% of your watcer

It also adds chlorine to your pool which your SWG would already be doing.

Leave the stuff at COSTCO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.