Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this stuff any good

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this stuff any good

http://www.costco.com/Clorox®-Pool%2...100248589.html

I'm thinking about buying a box of this cause that my Costco I can get it for $55 a box is it any good I have a SWG
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this stuff any good

Quote Originally Posted by rolo918 View Post
    http://www.costco.com/Clorox®-Pool%2...100248589.html

I'm thinking about buying a box of this cause that my Costco I can get it for $55 a box is it any good I have a SWG
    I think you've been around long enough to know that we never recommend using these types of products because, at the very least, they attempt to adjust too many water parameters at once and typically cause more problems than they're worth. A quick look at the MSDS reveals that it's just low strength dichlor (in other words, if you really want to use dichlor you can get it more concentrated than this product) mixed with a cheap aluminum floc (aluminum sulfate) and borax. Flocs should only be used in pools that have [EDIT] sand filters that can vacuum to waste [END-EDIT] and they have very specific requirements in terms of pH adjustment, time for mixing and settling time to allow all the floc'd particulates to sink to the bottom. Sulfates are generally not good for pools and can lead to early failure of SWG cells. SO on that basis alone, I would not use it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Only if you want to give yourself a headache with exceasive stabilizer in the not too distant future. I learned this the HARD WAY!

Buy bleach instead to shock with if you must.... I would have a goal of getting that SWG level figured out. Then you will only need bleach if there is some unusual event that causes an algae bloom.
    12,000gal Fiberglass In Ground, Pentair 1hp single speed pump, and Pentair 100sq/ft single cartridge filter. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Roof mounted 400ft solar heat loop, Zodiac MX8 Elite cleaner w/leaf canister
    Taylor K-2006-C, Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766 salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

I saw you have an indoor pool. This stuff will add CYA to your pool and quickly make it too high. Each 1 lb will add 3 ppm to your pool and, for an indoor pool, you want the CYA to be 10-20 ppm. If you use the whole box your CYA will be 72, assuming you're starting with zero. You'd then need to drain and replace about 75% of your watcer

It also adds chlorine to your pool which your SWG would already be doing.

Leave the stuff at COSTCO.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thank u
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.