Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black stain on tile grout

1. Back To Top    #1

Black stain on tile grout

Hoping someone can help. Fiberglass pool with SWG and waterline tile. Pool is about 3 years old. The side that is full shade has black stains starting to appear in the grout. I have tried chlorine in a spray bottle with a brush. No luck. I have tried soft scrub and a brush. No luck. Lastly I tried a stain remover granular product in a sock that you scrub against the tiles. No luck.

The black strain will not rub off with my fingernail and almost seems to be "in" the grout.

It exists below the waterline, at the waterline and above the water line.

Any ideas on how to remove? Is it unsafe in any way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black stain on tile grout

It may be black algae. It usually appears on the pool surface as isolated black spots, dark circular patterns, or blotchy black patches. Black algae typically afflicts plaster pool surfaces and tile grout since they are somewhat porous. It is virtually impossible on vinyl or fiberglass surfaces due to the smooth surface that prevent the roots from embedding themselves. Take a look at some sample pics here: Black Algae

Since you stated that you cannot get it to come off with your fingernail, try using a butter knife, or similar dull implement, and gently scrape a small sample of the stain and then smudge it on plain white paper. If the smudge is a greenish color, then it’s black algae. Please perform that test and report back with the results.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    It may be black algae. It usually appears on the pool surface as isolated black spots, dark circular patterns, or blotchy black patches. Black algae typically afflicts plaster pool surfaces and tile grout since they are somewhat porous. It is virtually impossible on vinyl or fiberglass surfaces due to the smooth surface that prevent the roots from embedding themselves. Take a look at some sample pics here: Black Algae

Since you stated that you cannot get it to come off with your fingernail, try using a butter knife, or similar dull implement, and gently scrape a small sample of the stain and then smudge it on plain white paper. If the smudge is a greenish color, then itís black algae. Please perform that test and report back with the results.
    Thanks! Will do that first thing tomorrow morning and will report back.

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like black algae or mold. Is the grout silicone?

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure if it is silicone as the tile was on the pool when it arrived as the manufacturer installed the tile. Any way to tell? Is silicone not the right type of grout?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gjpe View Post
    Thanks! Will do that first thing tomorrow morning and will report back.
    Got a picture of it but not sure how well you will be able to see it. It does NOT appear to have a greenish color. Any thoughts? Thanks again for any help with this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like black mold.

Silicone would be soft and spongy. It would feel like silicone bathroom caulk.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Looks like black mold.

Silicone would be soft and spongy. It would feel like silicone bathroom caulk.
    Based on that, I believe I have silicone. Now, any suggestions on how to best remove black mold from silicone?

9. Back To Top    #9

Bleach on a toothbrush should get it.