DH added "clarifier" without asking, now sand filter not filtering

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Ugh. DH added about 12 ounces "clarifier" (cationic polyamine solution and N-Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride) to our 26,000 gallon pool. (I might add that he did this without running it by me first.) His intention was to get rid of the pollen we have in puddles on the pool floor. However, now the sand filter seems to be unable to filter out any pollen at all - all backwashing just comes out clear (whereas before, it would at least contain yellow pollen).

Any theories as to what happened?

And, how do I remove it? (I am concerned about it screwing up my water and causing skin burns.)

ADBAC is just the cheap linear quat algaecide (it acts as a clarifier too) so it's really not going to cause you any harm. Can you vacuum the pollen up to waste? How has your filter pressure responded? Did it go high and then recover after backwashing or did it stay high?

You can always disassemble your sand filter and deep clean it as TFP does recommend doing that annually to ensure that the filter's sand media is not channeled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.