Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DH added "clarifier" without asking, now sand filter not filtering

1. Back To Top    #1

DH added "clarifier" without asking, now sand filter not filtering

Ugh. DH added about 12 ounces "clarifier" (cationic polyamine solution and N-Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride) to our 26,000 gallon pool. (I might add that he did this without running it by me first.) His intention was to get rid of the pollen we have in puddles on the pool floor. However, now the sand filter seems to be unable to filter out any pollen at all - all backwashing just comes out clear (whereas before, it would at least contain yellow pollen).

Any theories as to what happened?

And, how do I remove it? (I am concerned about it screwing up my water and causing skin burns.)
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DH added "clarifier" without asking, now sand filter not filtering

ADBAC is just the cheap linear quat algaecide (it acts as a clarifier too) so it's really not going to cause you any harm. Can you vacuum the pollen up to waste? How has your filter pressure responded? Did it go high and then recover after backwashing or did it stay high?

You can always disassemble your sand filter and deep clean it as TFP does recommend doing that annually to ensure that the filter's sand media is not channeled.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: DH added "clarifier" without asking, now sand filter not filtering

Filter pressure didn't change, and water did not get clearer. I think the pollen did pool a bit more. I was able to vacuum most of it up this morning. Tried deep cleaning the sand filter and now it leaks, but I will post that in another thread.
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)