Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bioguard Stain and Scale ingredients

1. Back To Top    #1

Bioguard Stain and Scale ingredients

Anyone know what is in this stuff? Have been using with no problems in my spa as per pool store but going to stop using it if it's not necessary. It has nothing listed on the front of bottle as to what's in it.

17,200 in ground pool, DE filter,3/4 hp pump, solar heater, SWG (Hayward Salt and Swim 3C)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bioguard Stain and Scale ingredients

It is a mixture of HEDP (a phosphonate based metal sequestrant) and fumaric acid (an organic acid good at removing metal stains). Two questions -

Why are you using this product?

and

Why are you listening to pool store advice?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Just now switching over to doing things myself. Started with the pool and now moving on to the hot tub and wasn't sure if that chemical was something I needed for the spa or not. Kind of like the baking soda deal with the pool. Pool stores try and sell it under a different name and I wasn't sure if I had to get something equivalent to this product or not. They always told me to use some of this when the hardness was up to prevent scaling.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Abaker6468 View Post
    Just now switching over to doing things myself. Started with the pool and now moving on to the hot tub and wasn't sure if that chemical was something I needed for the spa or not. Kind of like the baking soda deal with the pool. Pool stores try and sell it under a different name and I wasn't sure if I had to get something equivalent to this product or not. They always told me to use some of this when the hardness was up to prevent scaling.
    Welcome

Well, I agree, it's probably one of those things they just make money on. Unless your hot tub full water has metal in it or some insanely high calcium hardness, it's not necessary in a properly balanced and well maintained hot tub.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates