Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plunger valve leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Plunger valve leak

We put up 16x 48 intex ultra yesterday. Both plunger valves leak. Not from the hose or pool wall from from the top of the valve where you turn off and on. Under the gray part..if that makes sense. Is there a way to fix?

16x48 intex ultra with intex sand filter 2800
    16x48 AG Intel 5600 Gal. Intex sand filter 2800 gph
    Muskogee, OK

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Plunger valve leak

Probably just an O-ring. I don't know if you can get a rebuild kit for this valve, or you might be able to just find O- rings that fit.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks. I can probably get hubby to fixed now that we know what it is.

Muskogee, OK

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I don't know much about AG pools, but looking on the site, it looks like leaks with that valve are common. It looks like some have just eliminated it and use a fitting to connect directly to the pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I had this exact same problem with the same model pool on the same day (almost got creeped out when I saw the post lol). Turned out to be an un-seated o-ring, as mentioned above.

As I started draining the pool to get the water line below the return level, i had an 'ah-ha' moment that may come in handy for others. I took a large piece of saran wrap (any plastic wrap would work) and covered the return jet on the inside of the pool to allow me to remove the plunger valve and re-seat the o-ring while maintaining the water level in the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Weird, just yesterday i was taking out my brand new plunger valve that i bought last year and it had cracks in the O-ring also
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Spades View Post
    Weird, just yesterday i was taking out my brand new plunger valve that i bought last year and it had cracks in the O-ring also
    Does Intex and Summer Escapes (your sig) use the same manufacturer for the plumbing?
    5200gal 16x48 Intex Ultra Frame, stock setup.
    TF-100 test kit with an early obsession for chemical level testing and tracking.

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure if we are all talking about same spot on plunger mine is leaking from where i drew on this photo. I can't even get it apart right there..

Muskogee, OK

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Poolnewbie82 View Post
    Not sure if we are all talking about same spot on plunger mine is leaking from where i drew on this photo. I can't even get it apart right there..
    Ah ok, yeah, mine was leaking from the end where the valve assembly connects to the return jet. Sorry for the confusion (and false hope).
    TF-100 test kit with an early obsession for chemical level testing and tracking.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets View Post
    Ah ok, yeah, mine was leaking from the end where the valve assembly connects to the return jet. Sorry for the confusion (and false hope).
    its stinks. Leaks a lot only while pump running though

Muskogee, OK

11. Back To Top    #11

its stinks. Leaks a lot only while pump running though

Ive got a brand new one that im probably never going to use if youre interested. I can change the bottom Oring out or you can probably reuse your old Oring on it since your leak is in the upper body

Quote Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets View Post
    Does Intex and Summer Escapes (your sig) use the same manufacturer for the plumbing?
    No it does not. Will have to use adapters to install onto Summer Escapes because of the slip-on type fittings they use
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

12. Back To Top    #12

Ive got a brand new one that im probably never going to use if youre interested. I can change the bottom Oring out or you can probably reuse your old Oring on it since your leak is in the upper body

No it does not. Will have to use adapters to install onto Summer Escapes because of the slip-on type fittings they use
    Thank you. Let me see what hubby wants to do. I know that eventually we are going to plumb with pvc but that may be next yr.

Muskogee, OK

13. Back To Top    #13

I looked at my valve yesterday and the top cap does come off, yours is probably just really tight. There is a flat gasket in there.

14. Back To Top    #14

I looked at my valve yesterday and the top cap does come off, yours is probably just really tight. There is a flat gasket in there.
    Man it must be super tight. Ill check again! Thanks

Muskogee, OK

15. Back To Top    #15

Man it must be super tight. Ill check again! Thanks

Thank you! I finally got it off. The rubber was not seated in there correctly. Pushed it down and working fine. On another note. I think i have a small leak from bottom of pool

Muskogee, OK

16. Back To Top    #16

Since we are in the process of setting up that same pool, 16x48 Ultra, I'll open up the valves and be sure all is seated correctly before filling. Thanks for the heads up.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you! I finally got it off. The rubber was not seated in there correctly. Pushed it down and working fine. On another note. I think i have a small leak from bottom of pool

Exactly the issue with mine (at the outlet to the return jet, though). Re-seated the gasket and it works great now. Glad you got it fixed, too bad about the leak