New Pool Cloudy Water

tablpa

Jun 15, 2012
New pool this year, filled with well water (hard water, no chlorine). Have added CYA and chlorine and numbers are and have been fairly good since adding them. Also have brand new filter and pump.

FC -- 5.0
CC -- 0.0
pH -- 7.2
CYA -- 35
TA -- 400
CH -- 300

Water of course was crystal clear when filled, but now it is VERY cloudy and is a darker blue than normal, not green (at least not yet). It has gotten cloudier over past two days.

Suggestions?

A couple things to ask before we go too far in any one direction:
1 - What test kit did you use for those readings since it's not listed in your signature?
2 - How long ago did you fill the pool with that water?
3 - Bonus question :) Would you be able to take a well water sample to the pool store to see what kind of metals (if any) you have in your well water? It must be from the source though, not from the pool that already has chorine in it.

That should help guide us further.

1. Used a Taylor 2600 test kit that have used for several years (have new reagents)
2. Filled pool Wed-Thurs, late Thurs began filtering and added cyo and chlorine
3. Yes, and could just take it from the tap as we have well water in the house also, but don't live near a pool store so would take an hour trip to do this. Even with our old pool we always filled with our well water, although only a half fill in the spring.

A little less cloudy as the day has gone on, and is really blue, don't see it going toward green, just not the crystal clear that we are used to with the TFPC method. Am I just not being patient enough?

Okay then, I would continue with watching for now. You might consider an overnight (OCLT) test tonight or tomorrow if you don't see any improvement. In the meantime, before a SLAM is confirmed or ruled-out, you can still increase your FC to about 8 or so. It's well below SLAM level but gives you a little more punch in case that new water just needs some additional help. If you don't see improvements in clarity in a couple days, I would definitely try the OCLT to be sure. Have a great day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.