Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Powder coated worth the upgrade?

1. Back To Top    #1

Powder coated worth the upgrade?

Hello! We are breakin ground next week on our 20x40 vinyl sport pool. We will have a tan liner and I upgraded the steps & coping to gray instead of white. The pool builder asked me if I'd also like to upgrade to the powder coated ladder & handrails from stainless to gray as well. He told us they will last longer and are simply nicer than the base ladder & handrails. He told us it would all be at cost, no profit to him so it didn't matter to him either way. Total cost for the gray steps, coping, handrails, and ladder is about $2k. That's a lot more than I had expected. Is it worth it??
    Amanda & Raleigh - NE OH
    20x40 vinyl Grecian starting 6/2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Powder coated worth the upgrade?

It depends on your bank account. Are you getting a SWCG with your setup? If I had a choice I'd go with the SWCG before upgrading ladder and handrails. Will you be removing them during the winters? Base stainless is has worked for many for years.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the input. Actually, we decided not to go with the SWCG. Our pool builder said he would do either for us, but two of the builders we received quotes from kind of talked us out of it due to corrosion issues. We are in Ohio, so the ladders & rails will be removed for the winter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't worry about corrosion issues in less you're using soft stone and not sealing it. I'd reconsider the SWCG, or chlorine automation. Also get a proper test kit. Tf100 or Taylor K2006.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida