Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New cloudy with addition of dry acid

1. Back To Top    #1

New cloudy with addition of dry acid

What did I mess up? Pool has been crystalline beautiful up til 2 days ago when I measured pH and found it was a bit high at 8.0. I mixed a pound of dry acid with 3 gallons of water and slowly poured half in the skimmer and the other half in the deep end.

A few minutes later my wife goes "What the heck is that?" A big blue cumulus "cloud" formed in the deep end of the pool. It eventually disbursed but now the water is no longer perfectly clear like it was, but the pH is right around 7.6 now. What to do? Will it just clear up in a few more days?

FC = 2
    CC = 0
    TA = 110
    pH = 7.6
    CYA = 40
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New cloudy with addition of dry acid

I'm not sure, but your FC is too low for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    I'm not sure, but your FC is too low for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Yup, I just gave the pool a half gallon dose and bumped up the Stenner by a few minutes to increase the FC.
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Water clarity is back to normal. All I can surmise is that there was dissolved stuff in the water that came out of suspension with the pH change. I noticed the filter pressure also went up enough to require a backwash, so the filter was catching whatever it was. I guess this means my water is even cleaner now, but it was a strange thing.