Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Should I even bother with CYA...

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    Posts
    508

    Should I even bother with CYA...

    We just sold our house with our lovely doughboy pool that we already miss. We are renting a house right now until we finish contstructing our new house.

    My little ones have to have something for the summer so I bought a 49.99 intex summer scapes pool. 10ft x 2.5 feet ~1500 gallons and im just gonna use the little crappy pump that came with it. I put the pool on our back porch, under the roof. Back of the house is on the east side, so the pool only sees a little sun (8-10 am) and its only partial per day.

    I sold all my testing supplies and what not with the house as unfortunately it will be a couple years until we can have another pool, so I dont have a way to test CYA. I just bought the cheap 6 dollar HTH test kit for ph and chlorine at walmart. Still gonna BBB the pool but am only planning on worrying about FC and pH.

    should I even jack with CYA since the pool sees no sun?

    thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

  2. Back To Top    #2

    TFP Guide
    Mr Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: Should I even bother with CYA...

    CYA is important, even in a seasonal pool. This is what you are looking for Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    Posts
    508

    Re: Should I even bother with CYA...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    CYA is important, even in a seasonal pool. This is what you are looking for Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    but since CYA is strictly "suncreen for pools" (words from the link) then I would think it wouldnt be necessary if the pool is in the shade 95% of the time and the other 5% is indirect sunlight.

    but I guess, erroring on the side of caution, rather than invest in a test kit just for cya, ill just calculate how much I need to go from 0-40, buy the smallest bottle they have, measure it accurately, and not worry about it for the remainder of the season.

    thanks Mr. Bruce for the input and the link.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,682

    Re: Should I even bother with CYA...

    The 6 way test kit should have the CYA test in it. Opps read your post wrong--you said $6 not 6 way. See if you can find the hth 6 way test.

    Also think of the CYA as a "buffer" for the FC in terms of how it feels on the skin.

    I like your idea of adding what you know will get it to 40 and letting it ride. Keep the PH in check for her little eyes as well.

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •