Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFTestkits question

1. Back To Top    #1

TFTestkits question

Received my TF-100 today!

First test... Chlorine Drop Test... following directions I put 10 ml in the speedstir and added 870 powder. Looked like a tinge of pink so I started adding 871 to bring back to clear. Seems like the more drops I added the more pink the sample got. Washed the equipment and started to retest. Second sample put in speedstir beaker and added 870 powder. Looked clear so let it set for 15 or 20 minutes and came back and found sample had turned pink.

What have I done, what have I done?

Thanks for any help you can give!

John
    8000 gallon, IG, Fiberglass, Sand Filter (brand unknown at this time), 2HP A.O. Smith Speck Pump Model E90-IV, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: TFTestkits question

Try this, do the blue box text (plastic vials with color matcher), yellow side only please.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi John and welcome to TFP! So you broke your tester already huh? Just kidding. We don't let the solution sit. It will always revert back to pink if you do. Simply add your one heaping scoop of powder, then start the speed stir and adding drops of R-0871 until clear and divide by 2 (i.e. 14 drops = FC of 7). If yours turned clear right away, it means your FC is VERY low. Time to add bleach.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

keep the "flow" of the test going. It will revert back to pink if you grab a drink

5. Back To Top    #5

Haha... this is going to be a great place to hang out and learn! Worth the price of admission already!

Mr Bruce... test results with yellow side revealed zero chlorine... off to add some bleach!

Anyone have any info on "Exceptional Value Bleach Regular" ? Wife thought it was a good buy but no indication as to strength on label and could find nothing on the net.

Thanks!

John
    8000 gallon, IG, Fiberglass, Sand Filter (brand unknown at this time), 2HP A.O. Smith Speck Pump Model E90-IV, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BlueByYou View Post
    Haha... this is going to be a great place to hang out and learn! Worth the price of admission already!

Mr Bruce... test results with yellow side revealed zero chlorine... off to add some bleach!

Anyone have any info on "Exceptional Value Bleach Regular" ? Wife thought it was a good buy but no indication as to strength on label and could find nothing on the net.

Thanks!

John
    Generally, bleach with no % markings end up being 6% or less. If it's marked "concentrated" it's 8.25%.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

If the strength isn't listed skip it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Our local Walmart has 10% liquid pool chlorine on sale for $2.50 per gallon.
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BlueByYou View Post
    Received my TF-100 today!

First test... Chlorine Drop Test... following directions I put 10 ml in the speedstir and added 870 powder. Looked like a tinge of pink so I started adding 871 to bring back to clear.

John
    Hi John,

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but you're measuring the sample, THEN adding the powder, THEN putting the speed stir magnet in, right?

I only asked because Ive read where people are measuring the water sample with the magnet in the tube, which will obviously skew the results since your sample size is wrong.

Also make sure you're using a 'heaping scoop' of the powder.

Joey

18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks all for your replies! Very helpful so far!

Texas Splash and OTPirate: Keeping the flow going IS the way to go... tested today and got a good test! Worked as advertised! Grabbed that drink after the testing was done

tim5055: Thanks for the info!

pooldv: I gave the wife your advise! Thanks

poolmama67: Our Walmart had the same price on 10% today... stocked up

Joey: Never hurts to ask the obvious I was using the correct progression through my first test... taking too much time seemed to be the problem

Today's test results ended up being:

FC = 1.5

TC = 2.5

pH = 7.8

TA = 160

CH = 175

CYA = <20 the dot did not disappear

I put 18 oz of 8.25% bleach in and 32 oz of stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer.
    Is TA too high? PoolMath said goal of 70 to 90+

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh hey, I think you live right by me if it's the West Fallowfield in Chester County.

Gritz pools will deliver 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% chlorine to you at $2.90/gallon, which is a better deal than most grocery store bleach, plus free delivery. The Walmart in Parksburg has 10% for $2.50 in the garden section as well. That home depot in the shopping center has the cheapest MA I can find, $6/gallon in a 2 pack.

For your TA - keep lowing your pH to the 7.2-7.5 range with MA, and your TA will drift down and find it's sweet spot.
    Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Yo neighbor (pinguy)

I am in Chester County and your info is very helpful
    Thank You!

Gritz will be on my quick dial list!

John