Has Anyone Cleaned Their Pool Tiles, and, If So, How?

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
I posted this question on the Getting Started Forum, and got more questions than answers. I am hoping to find people who have undertaken the task of cleaning their pool tiles, and not resorting to a soda/bead blasting service.

I have seen it recommended here to use 5:1 diluted muriatic acid in a spray bottle to clean the deposits on the pool tiles. What's missing from this equation is what to use to actually rub off the deposits without it dissolving from the acid or scratching the tiles. Anyone have suggestions based on their experience?

Try a Tampico brush. You can usually find them in the section of hardware stores where masonry products are. Tampico is made from dried, fibrous husks of many different types of succulent plants. Tampico is resistant to degradation from both strong acids and strong bases and, if cut short, can be made very stiff.

As far as acid etching tiles, that's not typically the case because tile glaze is fairly resistant to even strong acids.

You want to be very careful with pumice stones. They are really designed to work on tile grout, not tile surfaces. Pumice has a Mohs hardness of 6 and so it is similar to glass beads used in bead blasting, i.e. It can easily scratch and damage ceramic tile.

I completed,an acid wash on ours and it removed all the staining and buildup from the tiles without scrubbing. I wasnt able to discern and damage to the surface of the tile and suspect since it is ceramic, there is likely no etching of the finish. The tile sparkles like new!

Thought this might be of some interest to you guys. Our new to us pool had some really nasty build up, who knows the last time anyone cleaned up the tile! I tried a few methods but nothing really got it as clean as I thought it should be. I started asking around and found a guy that does tile cleaning via media blasting as a side business. $275 later we had brand new looking tile!

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here ya go!

Yes the coping is sealed now

during

Done

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.