Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has Anyone Cleaned Their Pool Tiles, and, If So, How?

1. Back To Top    #1

Has Anyone Cleaned Their Pool Tiles, and, If So, How?

I posted this question on the Getting Started Forum, and got more questions than answers. I am hoping to find people who have undertaken the task of cleaning their pool tiles, and not resorting to a soda/bead blasting service.

I have seen it recommended here to use 5:1 diluted muriatic acid in a spray bottle to clean the deposits on the pool tiles. What's missing from this equation is what to use to actually rub off the deposits without it dissolving from the acid or scratching the tiles. Anyone have suggestions based on their experience?
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has Anyone Cleaned Their Pool Tiles, and, If So, How?

I've seen recommended before a pumice stone. It's sounds awful but apparently does quite well. You might want to try it in a small area to see.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Had quite a bit of dirt colored substance and calcium build up on ours. Muratic acid removed it straight away with very little scrubbing. Didnt need to use pumic just a non scratching scouring pad.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I hate to be one of those that asks you a question about your question...but...did the Muratic acid "etch" your tiles at all? i want mine etched a little as they are super slippery when wet.

5. Back To Top    #5

Has Anyone Cleaned Their Pool Tiles, and, If So, How?

Try a Tampico brush. You can usually find them in the section of hardware stores where masonry products are. Tampico is made from dried, fibrous husks of many different types of succulent plants. Tampico is resistant to degradation from both strong acids and strong bases and, if cut short, can be made very stiff.

As far as acid etching tiles, that's not typically the case because tile glaze is fairly resistant to even strong acids.

You want to be very careful with pumice stones. They are really designed to work on tile grout, not tile surfaces. Pumice has a Mohs hardness of 6 and so it is similar to glass beads used in bead blasting, i.e. It can easily scratch and damage ceramic tile.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I appreciate these good ideas. Yesterday, I tried a dampened Magic Eraser as recommended in a couple of other threads. It seemed to clean up some light deposits, but would not touch the heavier deposits or whiten up the grout.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

7. Back To Top    #7

I completed,an acid wash on ours and it removed all the staining and buildup from the tiles without scrubbing. I wasnt able to discern and damage to the surface of the tile and suspect since it is ceramic, there is likely no etching of the finish. The tile sparkles like new!
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    I completed,an acid wash on ours and it removed all the staining and buildup from the tiles without scrubbing. I wasnt able to discern and damage to the surface of the tile and suspect since it is ceramic, there is likely no etching of the finish. The tile sparkles like new!
    Did you just spray it on with spray bottle? How much did you dilute the acid?

Thanks!
    Michael

9. Back To Top    #9

Thought this might be of some interest to you guys. Our new to us pool had some really nasty build up, who knows the last time anyone cleaned up the tile! I tried a few methods but nothing really got it as clean as I thought it should be. I started asking around and found a guy that does tile cleaning via media blasting as a side business. $275 later we had brand new looking tile!

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here ya go!

Yes the coping is sealed now

during

Done

10k gal, IG Plaster, 3/4HP WhisperFlo pump, A.0 Smith Centurion single speed motor, Pentair TritonII sand filter, TF100 test kit, Hayward suction cleaner, City well water

10. Back To Top    #10

Good price. For the cost around here I think I could buy the equipment and do it myself. Need to just learn how to do it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!