Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calling for 800 oz of stabilizer???

1. Back To Top    #1

Calling for 800 oz of stabilizer???

Am I doing something wrong with my K-2006 test kit? New liner with new water last month, using Tricholr, added stabilizer (sock method) and Tricholr tabs. Water is still crystal clear. But today I retested & calculator says I need over 800 oz of stabilizer. Is that right?
    FC-1
    CC-0
    PH-7.3
    TA-80
    CYA-0
    Lexington, NC, 24 ft Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1 HP Pump, Tablet Chlorinator (use Tricholr), Taylor K-2006 test kit, County water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calling for 800 oz of stabilizer???

Doesn't sound right at all.

What is the volume of your pool (gallons)? Did you enter that into PoolMath?
    What CYA target did you enter into PoolMath?
    Are you using solid or liquid CYA?
    How much CYA did you add after you filled the pool?
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally you don't want to mix trichlor and stabilizer (CYA). The reult is bad.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is only opened about 4 months per year. I've used Triclor for 10 years in a different pool in the area with no problems whatsoever. Pool is around 30k gallons, target of 20 to start. I used pool math. I added about 8 lbs CYA with sock method once pool was filled. I believe the calculator said about 10, but I wanted to do it slowly. I'm confused!
    Lexington, NC, 24 ft Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1 HP Pump, Tablet Chlorinator (use Tricholr), Taylor K-2006 test kit, County water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Something is wrong.
    30k gallons 0 to 20 ppm of CYA is 80 oz

Are you using this? http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Here are the directions, Pool School - PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm an idiot!! I had 300k gallons in the calculator! Thanks for your responses! Sorry for the trouble!

- - - Updated - - -

Gwegan, just curious about the mixing of Triclor & stabilizer. Is it b/c the Triclor raises the CYA? I guess I've never had a problem since the pools in my area are only open 4-5 months, then drained below the skimmer & filled back up each year. Am I right that the CYA doesn't get too high in the 4 months then some of the water is always replaced? Thanks!