Leaking chlorine feeder...

Apr 24, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hello All,

The image below is of my Hayward CL200 chlorine feeder and the coupling where a pretty significant leak was discovered. The threads and coupling, as well as the feeder itself are pretty worn from age. I have tried using teflon tape around the fitting threads to stop the leak to no avail.

Here's my problem. I'd just as soon eliminate the feeder from the system and replace it with a straight run of pipe but, as you can see in the photo, the female half of the coupler is smack up against the elbow that turns south and into the ground and goes to the supply (skimmer, I assume) and there's not but a smidgen of a PVC pipe nipple between the coupling and the elbow. Obviously, the parts are cemented together and I'm at a loss as to how to solve this problem.

Unless there's a way to separate the small PVC nipple from the elbow I need some advice on what to do to solve this quandary.

As always, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3438_zps5jkpzstv.jpg

I think if it were me, I would probably dig down just enough to remove that elbow as close as I could then replace that area. If I had to go a little deeper then I would. Maybe then consider installing a union if I ever decided to add something again later to avoid cutting as much later. As a last-ditch alternative though, have you tried any plumbers goops or something other than just Teflon tape? I can't remember the name of it :brickwall: but there's another pool putty product that many people use for threads, but I'm having a "senior moment" right now and can't remember its name. :p

You can't really fix a union with tape. In this case it looks like the union is missing its o-ring (goes between the black part and the tan part of the coupling).
Or you can dig it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.