Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My old huntin' buddy...

1. Back To Top    #1

My old huntin' buddy...

Truman, an 8.5 yo black lab would like to know if it is safe for him to swim in his owners new pool. He is still a large and powerful dog, but a true gentleman. The liner is 30 mil but we are still concerned, possibly overly because it is new. Do you let your dog in your pool?
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My old huntin' buddy...

Wish my dogs would be my pool buddies. Show him how to get out safely--do you have steps or a ladder? Steps would be much easier for him and they also have ramps you can buy.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

small pool dogs.jpgWe encourage our dogs to swim with us ( and only with us in the pool with them). Granted our dogs are not lab sized, but our intex is holding up to the toe nails just fine.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

4. Back To Top    #4

Never ever restrict that hunting buddy of yours. It is absolutely encouraged to let him swim! Just show him how to get in and out and make sure he's never alone. I had a lab (Casey) who loved her pool. She never went in unless I was there. It was like she knew she wasn't allowed to swim without me. Miss that dog so much!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

We don't let our dog in the pool. Too much of a risk to the liner. He really has no desire to go in either, but even if he did, we would not let him. That and the fact we would then have a 75 lb VERY hairy soaking wet dog (chow / shepherd / golden mix = hair, lots of hair)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

If he is taught how to get out without scratching the sides, then it should be no issues. My 75lb lab and lab mix always swim with us. They were taught to use the stairs or the ramp I made.
    This is a pic of how I made the legs for the petstep ramp.
    https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f7&oe=57D29AAF

The ramp rests on the small section of porch on the right side.
    https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...88030596_o.jpg
    Sharkline 18'X40' Matrix 54 AGP, Sta-Rite T-210WF Hi-Rate Sand Filter, Sta-Rite 1.5HP JWPAS5F-2A4, Hayward AquaRite SWCG w/T-Cell 15 TurboCell, Confer Plastics STEP-1 Easy Access Above-Ground Pool Steps, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

My dog has LEAPED into our vinyl lined pool (20 ml) for 7-8 years with nary a scratch.

That said, you can ask this member what he thinks.Many Mallerys low res.jpg
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I am more worried about the bottom than the sides. Many dogs seem to like to "walk" around the pool instead of swim.

My dog standing and walking in the pool! - YouTube

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave View Post
    I am more worried about the bottom than the sides. Many dogs seem to like to "walk" around the pool instead of swim.

My dog standing and walking in the pool! - YouTube

-dave
    That dog is clueless on the doggy paddle. I would say not all dogs are dumb.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter