chlorine testing

az240z

May 1, 2016
Glendale, Az
In 2 months I have used one bottle of the R-0870 and have used half of the second one I bought. I was testing chlorine every day and then went to every other day. I also have the K1000 kit and am wondering if the chlorine level showing on the test is as accurate as the using the R-0870 test? If anyone is in the AZ desert what level do you keep your chlorine?

Even though I'm not there now, I lived in Glendale for many years while stationed at Luke, so I feel comfortable answering your question. Your chlorine level is dictated by what CYA level you need. It is that "key" item that drives your FC level. For those of us in extremely hot areas where the sun's position is extremely close, we need a higher CYA. So if you look at the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) you'll see that the higher the CYA, the higher the FC level. My pool for example has a summer CYA of 60-70. So on that chart you'll see my daily FC should be around 7-8 (+/- 1 ppm or so). In the winter, we can let our CYA go lower because the sun is not as intense. But from now through Sept .... HOT!

So as long as your pool is 100% algae-free (no green or cloudiness), then you can increase the CYA as needed to help save FC each day so those two items work effeiciently against the sun. Does that help you?

Oh, and even though many people will use the OTO (visual comparator) to quickly check chlorine, I always us the powder & drops each evening. My FC is about 7 each night, so I use ONE heaping scoop of powder and about 14 drops or so to confirm in a 10 ml water sample.

- - - Updated - - -

Those who use the K-1000 test only get the total chlorine (TC) which is the sum of FC and CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.