Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine testing

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine testing

In 2 months I have used one bottle of the R-0870 and have used half of the second one I bought. I was testing chlorine every day and then went to every other day. I also have the K1000 kit and am wondering if the chlorine level showing on the test is as accurate as the using the R-0870 test? If anyone is in the AZ desert what level do you keep your chlorine?
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine testing

Checked out the pool school and found my answer to chlorine level. However my second question remains. Does the K1000 kit give the same result as using the R0870?
    TF100 w SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Even though I'm not there now, I lived in Glendale for many years while stationed at Luke, so I feel comfortable answering your question. Your chlorine level is dictated by what CYA level you need. It is that "key" item that drives your FC level. For those of us in extremely hot areas where the sun's position is extremely close, we need a higher CYA. So if you look at the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) you'll see that the higher the CYA, the higher the FC level. My pool for example has a summer CYA of 60-70. So on that chart you'll see my daily FC should be around 7-8 (+/- 1 ppm or so). In the winter, we can let our CYA go lower because the sun is not as intense. But from now through Sept .... HOT!

So as long as your pool is 100% algae-free (no green or cloudiness), then you can increase the CYA as needed to help save FC each day so those two items work effeiciently against the sun. Does that help you?

Oh, and even though many people will use the OTO (visual comparator) to quickly check chlorine, I always us the powder & drops each evening. My FC is about 7 each night, so I use ONE heaping scoop of powder and about 14 drops or so to confirm in a 10 ml water sample.

- - - Updated - - -

Those who use the K-1000 test only get the total chlorine (TC) which is the sum of FC and CC.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok that answers my question. thank you. I'm going to raise my CYA a little.
    TF100 w SpeedStir