Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump humming and not working investigation finds...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump humming and not working investigation finds...

Second thread. Our pump has been humming and not working. After putting a screwdriver in there and manipulating the impeller I could usually get it fired back up again. Only to have it stop working again after turning it off most of the time. Pump also has been very very loud this season.

After lots of YouTube video watching decided to unhook and dissamble pump. I found this IMG_1613.jpg(see attachment) between the motor and the mounting plate. As of right now I'm just going to use a wire brush and some cleaner to get all of this outta there. Hoping that'll help. Don't know enough about this stuff. The rotor shaft can be spinned pretty easily with just my hand currently, so it's not locked up.

Any other advice for a non DIY-er attemptingto salvage this before buying a new motor?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump humming and not working investigation finds...

If the shaft can spin free then the start capacitor needs to be replaced most likely
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump humming and not working investigation finds...

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    If the shaft can spin free then the start capacitor needs to be replaced most likely
    +1 on the cap replacement.

Question is, what and where did all that gunk in the motor housing come from? Where is the pump located? Was it submerged during a heavy rain storm or something?
    In Ground 17,500 Gallon Freeform Vinyl Liner - Hayward S220T Sand Filter - Hayward Super II Pump - Kreepy Krawly Kruiser Cleaner
    If I had a dollar for every time I told my wife that there's no way we're buying a house with a pool, I'd have enough money to install the pool that came with the house we bought!