Wall Fittings - How Tight Should They Be?

Cain

Aug 27, 2015
West Fargo, ND
Alright I purchased some new wall fittings based on the old ones being damaged. I went to install them, but as I was turning the lower fitting above the intake, this one:

Standard Wall Fitting

yhst-91321695262316_2202_3110949

I noticed that it seemed to keep turning on the inner side of the pool.

When I went to install the ball valve setup:

Ball Valve

yhst-91321695262316_2212_156868

I noticed that when I was getting to what I guess I am used to considering as "tight" on other things, it would actually start turning the wall fitting. Enough so that the gasket shifted and went up and over the inner portion of the wall fitting.

When I went to try and take the ball valve setup off then it started turning the wall fitting so I needed a wrench to hold it still.

So my question is this, for pools, how tight should everything be?

Cain, sorry you haven't seen a reply yet. Thought I'd give this a :bump: Personally, I'm thinking just snug or hand-tight, but I'm not real familiar with your set-up and how those items mate-up against the pool wall. Hopefully someone will see this bump on your thread and chime in as well. Have a nice day.

thanks!

I ran the hose to the pool all night and checked the connections morning, filter running too.

I noticed a slight drip from the ball valve to wall fitting connection on the intake, and a more aggressive drip from the ball valve to hose. I snugged up the wall fitting. The hose most likely needs to be replaced but I am going to try some things first since this brands hoses are not cheap. May swing by the pool store to seee if they have something equivalent.

In addition, my pump basket itself appears to have a leak that the previous owner tried to fix with PVC tape or something to that effect. I tried to shore that up a bit with some flexseal sprayed on, but I probably need to pull the tape and try it again. I'll probably give that a look at closing this year, maybe a new basket.

I did install the skimmer now for this type of pool.

Did some level measurements too so going to work on that and will also be trying an hayward aquacritter too.

In general, fittings with a gasket or o-ring should be tightened until the gasket begins to crush. If it leaks then slowly tighten further until it stops. It doesn't really matter if the inner or outer fitting still moves. What to avoid is over-crushing the gasket and squeezing it out. Threaded fittings should be sealed with teflon tape. It is never a good idea to try to seal a plumbing fitting with a material outside of the fitting like silicone or flex seal. The leak is still there and will eventually work through the sealant.

I agree I'm in the trade and even guys on job site tend to over tighten fittings. Pooldv is right about the O-rings and with PVC threads hand tighten then give a 1/4 turn, You can use Teflon tape which is a thread "lubricant", you can also use small amounts of pipe dope. Nevertheless if it leaks you can always tighten a little at a time till it quits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.