Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pump shipped with water in it

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pump shipped with water in it

Hello, I purchased two Hayward pumps and when I opened the box of the Hayward 3400 VSP and I tipped it on its side to inspect it about 1/4 cup of water came out of it. Is this normal or did I get a refurb pump.
    Pool Build in progress, 21x42 freeform gunite 3.5 to 8 feet deep with additional 11x20 beach entry to tanning ledge (35k), 2 foot bond beam wall with four 2 foot sheer descents and raised 18inch 8 foot spa on top of the bond beam wall. Hayward 3400 vsp for pool/spa combo, Hayward 1.5Hp for 4 sheer descents, 400k btu heater, Hayward 450sf cartridgefilter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pump shipped with water in it

In my line of work not pool related, but we deal with pumps ~ and they are tested before they go out in the field.

Would think those huge manufacturers probably pull one from the line every so often and test as a quality control measure.
    They may also have some type of lubricant in them so they weather through their shelf life with temperature fluctuations.

Mine was dry as far as I know.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. I contacted Hayward and they said they test every pump before it leaves their warehouse.
    Pool Build in progress, 21x42 freeform gunite 3.5 to 8 feet deep with additional 11x20 beach entry to tanning ledge (35k), 2 foot bond beam wall with four 2 foot sheer descents and raised 18inch 8 foot spa on top of the bond beam wall. Hayward 3400 vsp for pool/spa combo, Hayward 1.5Hp for 4 sheer descents, 400k btu heater, Hayward 450sf cartridgefilter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That's good info! Thanks for following up.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D