Some Help Please

Jun 18, 2016
Lock Haven, Pa
Hello,

I have had my swimming pool for 10 years, the last 2 years has been a nightmare for me. Let me get into specifics - My Total Chlorine Level is currently 10 ppm which is pretty high, but my free chlorine level is 0. I go to the swimming pool store they sell me a non Chlorine Oxidizer and said to put this in and it will help your fee chlorine level. Nothing once again. I also noticed my steps seem to be stained Greyish color maybe even Yellowish Grey.

So here are my numbers

Free Chlorine 0
Total Chlorine 10
Alkalinity - 70
Ph 7.5
Hardness 150

So to me it seems like everything is fine, but those stains and I cant figure out why I cant see any Free Chlorine Levels. And that staining on my steps and around the edge of my liner seems strange too.. I have all my metals checked and none present. I can not use a brush to get that stain off my steps, but a Magic eraser will take it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also my pool is in ground 18X36 roughly 25,000 gallons and I use a sand filter and it has a Vinyl linier.

My pool is blue and clean to the bottom, I already slammed it as I always do when I start. I also use a pretty good dropper kit for testing. My issue is free chlorine and the brown/dark yellowish staining on my steps and corners of my liner. I gave my testing numbers above. I thought at first it was iron or some metal, but my pool tested negative for metals.

My pool is over 10 ppm in total Chlorine now and has been for 4 days and this is the second attempt to get Free Chlorine. Once again last night I added 3 more gallons of Liquid Chlorine and had a free chlorine reading for a few minutes, this was in the dark. But anyways thanks for the information I will look around to see if I can find something because at this rate and the total chlorine levels in my pool I wont be able to swim in it all summer, unless I just stop trying to get Free chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.