Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some Help Please

1. Back To Top    #1

Some Help Please

Hello,

I have had my swimming pool for 10 years, the last 2 years has been a nightmare for me. Let me get into specifics - My Total Chlorine Level is currently 10 ppm which is pretty high, but my free chlorine level is 0. I go to the swimming pool store they sell me a non Chlorine Oxidizer and said to put this in and it will help your fee chlorine level. Nothing once again. I also noticed my steps seem to be stained Greyish color maybe even Yellowish Grey.

So here are my numbers

Free Chlorine 0
    Total Chlorine 10
    Alkalinity - 70
    Ph 7.5
    Hardness 150

So to me it seems like everything is fine, but those stains and I cant figure out why I cant see any Free Chlorine Levels. And that staining on my steps and around the edge of my liner seems strange too.. I have all my metals checked and none present. I can not use a brush to get that stain off my steps, but a Magic eraser will take it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also my pool is in ground 18X36 roughly 25,000 gallons and I use a sand filter and it has a Vinyl linier.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Some Help Please

Welcome to the forum. You need one of our recommended test kits and read in Pool School how to SLAM your pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info in your signature so that we can better help you as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool is blue and clean to the bottom, I already slammed it as I always do when I start. I also use a pretty good dropper kit for testing. My issue is free chlorine and the brown/dark yellowish staining on my steps and corners of my liner. I gave my testing numbers above. I thought at first it was iron or some metal, but my pool tested negative for metals.
    In ground 18X36 apporx 25,000 gallongs, Concrete around Pool with steps leading out of pool in low end. Haywoods Sand Filter 1.5 hp motor, with Chlorinator attached. Light Blue pebble Vinyl lining. Diving Board

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm sorry, but if you have SLAMMED it per our TFP method you would be holding some FC.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool is over 10 ppm in total Chlorine now and has been for 4 days and this is the second attempt to get Free Chlorine. Once again last night I added 3 more gallons of Liquid Chlorine and had a free chlorine reading for a few minutes, this was in the dark. But anyways thanks for the information I will look around to see if I can find something because at this rate and the total chlorine levels in my pool I wont be able to swim in it all summer, unless I just stop trying to get Free chlorine
    In ground 18X36 apporx 25,000 gallongs, Concrete around Pool with steps leading out of pool in low end. Haywoods Sand Filter 1.5 hp motor, with Chlorinator attached. Light Blue pebble Vinyl lining. Diving Board

7. Back To Top    #7

Post some test results and tell us how your water looks.

Here is what we need to better help you, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach