Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: free chlorine sampling

1. Back To Top    #1
    Du Quoin, IL

free chlorine sampling

When testing for free chlorine and after adding 2 dips of R-0870 then drops of R-0871 until water clears I typically let the sample set for 5-10 minutes and the water again turns light pink. I'm pretty sure the 0870 has completely dissolved but surely this has to be the reason for the sample to change back to pink. Typically clears back up after 1-2 drops but not sure if I can count this as free chlorine. Yes or no?
    Paradise 12'X24'X52" above ground pool buried in-ground approximately 2', Millennium/Waterway 22" High Rate Sand Filter/1.5HP pump motor/250lbs. #20 grade silica sand
    Vinyl liner treated lumber deck frame and composite top deck Installed 06/2012 Taylor K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Bunbury, WA, Australia

Re: free chlorine sampling

No you don't count. Once you add drops of 0871 to clear that is your reading which is also why it is important to move through the FAS DPD test fairly quickly about 1 drop per second.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: free chlorine sampling

No need to expect ALL the powder to dissolve.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!