Pool Depth: New Pool in PA

Jun 18, 2016
Wexford
We like to hang out, play basketball, play volleyball. However, we also like to jump into the pool and swim under water in a deeper area. Depth is tough decision. Pool will be 38 x 18. Right now we are going with 15 feet of length at 3.5 feet of depth. Then 15 foot length of slope to 6.5 feet depth. Then about 5 feet flat at the 6.5 feet depth before end of pool depth rises back up a bit over last 3 feet. Any thoughts, concerns, recommendations? Wondering if might be better with each end starting at 3.5 and sloping to about 4 feet at about 12 feet from ends. Then slope to 5.5 feet in middle. Thx!

Welcome to TFP :)

With those depths there should be no diving/jumping being done, there is minimum for diving and jumping and it will depend on your state I think... someone should be along that knows exactly what is required...

I hope this helps :)

Welcome to TFP!

We are very happy with our play/sport pool. Except for the 3-1/2' part. It is way too shallow and nobody hangs out there. Not even 6 year old kids. Where kids like to hang out is on the benches around the pool throwing stuff at each other, jumping off, resting, etc. My next pool will be 4x5x4. It is easy for everyone to find a place to hang out in neck deep water, stand up and play volleyball, catch, whatever. It is deep enough to swim. We cannonball like crazy in 5'. 6' is just annoying, you can't dive, it doesn't make much difference with cannonballs and only LeBron can stand up there.

I grew up with a 18x36 3.5'-12' pool.

All of our time was spent on the slope.

3.5' is too shallow. I'd go with a 4' shallow end. (i am building a 4-5-4 pool based on these experiences)

Also as mentioned 6.5' is a little shallow to jump in safely, even for kids, you hit the ground too quick.

What shape is the pool?

Our pool is also 38'X18'. It is 3.6'X8' and we have no complaints at all. We dive in ours all the time but then again it is 8' at the deepest part.

You'll hear 100 opinions on this one :)

The one I've read most is people with shallow at 3.5' wishing they had 4' and I've not heard anyone with 4' wishing they had 3.5'. I'm sure someone will make a liar outta me, haha :)

I grew up with a 18x36 3.5'-12' pool.

All of our time was spent on the slope.

3.5' is too shallow. I'd go with a 4' shallow end. (i am building a 4-5-4 pool based on these experiences)

Also as mentioned 6.5' is a little shallow to jump in safely, even for kids, you hit the ground too quick.

What shape is the pool?

Rectangle (so we could use the auto cover).

Thanks for insights.

A few quick comments on the auto cover (I know this wasn't your primary concern). Hopefully you've come to terms with the cost $10-15K. And view it as a car. It needs routine maintenance and repair. But I do like ours regardless of those two things. A
pulley broke last year (normal), something ate a 6" hole in it his winter, cover switch burned out last week, cleaned cover, and covers last about 7 years ($3-4K). Not trying to discourage you, just a PSA.

On depth, exact same size rectangle with autocover here. 3-8 1/2'. Really 3 1/2 since the 3' is only for a tiny bit. With a 38' rectangle there is a lot of space. I've probably said the converse elsewhere, but today as I think about it, for our pool, the shallow part is fine. Over the years little kids do come over and it is nice to have the perfect height for all since we can spare the space. Kids grow but people coming to our pool all seem to have different age kids. You know, divorce, remarry, have more kids. Or they just never stop, or you have a work party or a church party with different demographics. Clearly no right answer. Only a best guess for your family and situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.