Converted from liquid chlorine to a Hayward SWG

Jul 22, 2015
Poway, CA
Hello,

So I installed a AquaRite w/TurboCell, for Pools up to 40,000 Gallons and added salt which I am now at a salt level of 3000. The pool store said to set my SWG at 70%, is that correct?

This is a new journey for me and is there anything else I need to know on settings, SWG and a salt water pool?

Thank you for your help!

you can start at 50% and run the pump 6 to 8 hours and check to see what you FC is at, if it's at your target your good if below add run time or go to 60%, try testing 2 or 3 times a day so you don't dip below FC level :)

Is there anything else (settings) I need to do on the control board? It has a 2900 number on the display.

My cell is a TCELL940WP, is that the T-15?

Also, the numbers on unit which I don't know what they mean.

73P
AL -0
r 1.59
t - 15

Thanks again!

Hayward T-15 cells are sized for 40,000 gallons.

The amount of chlorine the SWG makes is controlled by the output% and the amount of pump run time, so both of those need to be adjusted to make the right amount of chlorine for your pool. You will need to experiment with both to dial the SWG in but I will give you a starting point based on 3ppm of chlorine in a day. Most pools use 2-4ppm of chlorine in a day during the summer.

Since you have a VS pump you need to make sure that the pump is running fast enough to keep the minimum flow required at all times. You will have to experiment with the low end speed to see what is the cutoff speed for the SWG.

For your pool size the SWG needs to produce 11 ounces of chlorine in a day to make 3ppm of FC. This would be a decent starting point for being in Poway. The cell is capable of producing around 22.5 ounces of chlorine in a day so you just need to do some math to get the required 11 ounces which is about 1/2 of the capable output of the cell. So a starting point would be 12 hours of run time and the SWG set to 100%.

Measure the FC each day to see how the pool is doing and adjust the pump run time and/or the SWG% as you see fit.

Water Balance for SWCGs for extra credit.

Another item to consider... for plaster pools you need to raise your CYA level to sustain 60-80 for your SWG. A full test kit result - NOT THE POOL STORE - will be your best friend in trying to get your SWG set correctly.

Is there anything else (settings) I need to do on the control board? It has a 2900 number on the display.

My cell is a TCELL940WP, is that the T-15?

Also, the numbers on unit which I don't know what they mean.

2900 average salinity
80 temperature
26.8 voltage
6.44 amps
73P output percentage
-3000 instant salinity reading
AL -0 AquaRite automation setting
r 1.59 board revision
t - 15 cell size

Thanks again!

added text to the numbers above

- - - Updated - - -

So is the TCELL940SWP the T-15? I want to make sure.

added text to the numbers above

- - - Updated - - -

"Water Balance for SWCGs" Wow, this is an eye opener!
CYA to 70-80, I am at 40 right now.
CH is 475 which it mentions that I need to be at 350, but I just RO last year.
TA is at 110 and I need to be at 60-80. To lower reduce TA it says to lower PH to 7-7.2, but it also mentions if I add CYA it can also lower PH as well. So what is the correct way to get TA to 70 and PH to 7.5-7.6?

I have Soda Ash, Muriatic Acid and Alkalinity up on hand.

Thank you,

Hayward T-15 cells are sized for 40,000 gallons.

The amount of chlorine the SWG makes is controlled by the output% and the amount of pump run time, so both of those need to be adjusted to make the right amount of chlorine for your pool. You will need to experiment with both to dial the SWG in but I will give you a starting point based on 3ppm of chlorine in a day. Most pools use 2-4ppm of chlorine in a day during the summer.

Since you have a VS pump you need to make sure that the pump is running fast enough to keep the minimum flow required at all times. You will have to experiment with the low end speed to see what is the cutoff speed for the SWG.

For your pool size the SWG needs to produce 11 ounces of chlorine in a day to make 3ppm of FC. This would be a decent starting point for being in Poway. The cell is capable of producing around 22.5 ounces of chlorine in a day so you just need to do some math to get the required 11 ounces which is about 1/2 of the capable output of the cell. So a starting point would be 12 hours of run time and the SWG set to 100%.

Measure the FC each day to see how the pool is doing and adjust the pump run time and/or the SWG% as you see fit.

Water Balance for SWCGs for extra credit.

MA, drop your PH down to 7/7.2 and let drift back up to 7.5 and do it again, you can add a waterfall or turn you returns toward the top of the water :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the process on lowering TA found in Pool School, Lowering Total Alkalinity.

Don't worry about the CH right now as it will continue to rise above the suggested range. What you will need to do is keep the pH in the lower 7's once the CH gets in the 600 range.

For now getting the TA down to 60-70 will keep the pH from rising quickly. There are major benefits when operating a pool with a SWG and keeping the TA around 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.