Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converted from liquid chlorine to a Hayward SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Converted from liquid chlorine to a Hayward SWG

Hello,

So I installed a AquaRite w/TurboCell, for Pools up to 40,000 Gallons and added salt which I am now at a salt level of 3000. The pool store said to set my SWG at 70%, is that correct?

This is a new journey for me and is there anything else I need to know on settings, SWG and a salt water pool?

Thank you for your help!
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Converted from liquid chlorine to a Hayward SWG

you can start at 50% and run the pump 6 to 8 hours and check to see what you FC is at, if it's at your target your good if below add run time or go to 60%, try testing 2 or 3 times a day so you don't dip below FC level
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there anything else (settings) I need to do on the control board? It has a 2900 number on the display.

My cell is a TCELL940WP, is that the T-15?

Also, the numbers on unit which I don't know what they mean.

73P
    AL -0
    r 1.59
    t - 15

Thanks again!
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have a curcupool so no idea on the hayward, someone may be by and know in awhile
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward T-15 cells are sized for 40,000 gallons.

The amount of chlorine the SWG makes is controlled by the output% and the amount of pump run time, so both of those need to be adjusted to make the right amount of chlorine for your pool. You will need to experiment with both to dial the SWG in but I will give you a starting point based on 3ppm of chlorine in a day. Most pools use 2-4ppm of chlorine in a day during the summer.

Since you have a VS pump you need to make sure that the pump is running fast enough to keep the minimum flow required at all times. You will have to experiment with the low end speed to see what is the cutoff speed for the SWG.

For your pool size the SWG needs to produce 11 ounces of chlorine in a day to make 3ppm of FC. This would be a decent starting point for being in Poway. The cell is capable of producing around 22.5 ounces of chlorine in a day so you just need to do some math to get the required 11 ounces which is about 1/2 of the capable output of the cell. So a starting point would be 12 hours of run time and the SWG set to 100%.

Measure the FC each day to see how the pool is doing and adjust the pump run time and/or the SWG% as you see fit.

Water Balance for SWCGs for extra credit.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Another item to consider... for plaster pools you need to raise your CYA level to sustain 60-80 for your SWG. A full test kit result - NOT THE POOL STORE - will be your best friend in trying to get your SWG set correctly.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Imracerx View Post
    Is there anything else (settings) I need to do on the control board? It has a 2900 number on the display.

My cell is a TCELL940WP, is that the T-15?

Also, the numbers on unit which I don't know what they mean.

2900 average salinity
    80 temperature
    26.8 voltage
    6.44 amps
    73P output percentage
    -3000 instant salinity reading
    AL -0 AquaRite automation setting
    r 1.59 board revision
    t - 15 cell size

Thanks again!
    added text to the numbers above
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

- - - Updated - - -

So is the TCELL940SWP the T-15? I want to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    added text to the numbers above
    - - - Updated - - -

"Water Balance for SWCGs" Wow, this is an eye opener!
    CYA to 70-80, I am at 40 right now.
    CH is 475 which it mentions that I need to be at 350, but I just RO last year.
    TA is at 110 and I need to be at 60-80. To lower reduce TA it says to lower PH to 7-7.2, but it also mentions if I add CYA it can also lower PH as well. So what is the correct way to get TA to 70 and PH to 7.5-7.6?

I have Soda Ash, Muriatic Acid and Alkalinity up on hand.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Hayward T-15 cells are sized for 40,000 gallons.

The amount of chlorine the SWG makes is controlled by the output% and the amount of pump run time, so both of those need to be adjusted to make the right amount of chlorine for your pool. You will need to experiment with both to dial the SWG in but I will give you a starting point based on 3ppm of chlorine in a day. Most pools use 2-4ppm of chlorine in a day during the summer.

Since you have a VS pump you need to make sure that the pump is running fast enough to keep the minimum flow required at all times. You will have to experiment with the low end speed to see what is the cutoff speed for the SWG.

For your pool size the SWG needs to produce 11 ounces of chlorine in a day to make 3ppm of FC. This would be a decent starting point for being in Poway. The cell is capable of producing around 22.5 ounces of chlorine in a day so you just need to do some math to get the required 11 ounces which is about 1/2 of the capable output of the cell. So a starting point would be 12 hours of run time and the SWG set to 100%.

Measure the FC each day to see how the pool is doing and adjust the pump run time and/or the SWG% as you see fit.

Water Balance for SWCGs for extra credit.
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks like that's the extended life cell for pools up to 40k gal.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

MA, drop your PH down to 7/7.2 and let drift back up to 7.5 and do it again, you can add a waterfall or turn you returns toward the top of the water

11. Back To Top    #11

TCELL940SWP is the extended life T-15 cell.

12. Back To Top    #12

So this will bring the the TA down to 70? Just to be clear.
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

It can, you have to bring PH down, then test TA to see where you are at

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is the process on lowering TA found in Pool School, Lowering Total Alkalinity.

Don't worry about the CH right now as it will continue to rise above the suggested range. What you will need to do is keep the pH in the lower 7's once the CH gets in the 600 range.

For now getting the TA down to 60-70 will keep the pH from rising quickly. There are major benefits when operating a pool with a SWG and keeping the TA around 60.