New pool, confused and worried

Sep 27, 2015
West Olive, mi
Hi,

We just had a 30' round pool installed this week. We had a mineral pack ( frog) attached to our package and turned it off. We went the the pool store, I know right, and they told us it was junk and that we should use bacquacil, because it is so much better. I started with the start up kit, but now am afraid I made a huge mistake. Please help. I know I should order the test kit too. Thanks in advance.

Thank u for responding. I did read that. I was wondering if I should try to do the conversion now or when I need to change my sand in the fall. I do not know if a deep cleaning would work because I have only done one treatment of the bacquacil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First things' first........WELCOME TO TFP!

There is still a very large chance you will need to replace the sand once you complete the Baqua conversion even if you start with low levels. During the conversion the process creates a very sticky glob that we like to call BaquaGoo. Once this glob is caught in the filter it will clump up your sand and is VERY difficult to breakup. Once your conversion is over if you leave the sand unchanged it very likely will greatly affect the filtering ability in a negative way. So should you do the conversion now, or wait? Well that's a very difficult call. Changing it now will likely save you a good bit of money as Baqua is a very expensive product that is very difficult to use. On the other side of the coin however the Baqua conversion will likely put the pool out of commission for around a week in the middle of summer......something nobody wants. In the end it's a difficult choice to make and one only you can make.

If you have to empty the water, there is no better time to get off the BQ train and it shouldn't cost you a lot of time or money to convert. Basically the cost of new sand.

FYI - Your local pool store is likely a Baquacil dealer and will be lining their pockets with the absorbent cost of the chemicals. The national pool stores (Namco, Leslie's) carry BQ products but they are off brands and they don't know a whole lot about the system (Even less than the BBB system).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, update. The pool has to be drained because our pool has two uprights that are not right. We have to drain the pool and then they r going to fix the uprights and put a new liner in. So here is my question. Once the pool water is drained, and I change the sand what is the next steps, do I just do the bbb method as stated in pool school with a tf100 test kit or do I have to Slam. This is all going to happen at the end of July. I will be ordering my tf100 soon. Thanks in advance.

Is your pool going you be empty for a whole month? That's not good!!! If you get a storm, it could destroy your empty pool.

Assuming Casey's scenerio is not the case, you should do a SLAM even with new water. It will take care of anything in the new water, as well as what might be lurking on the liner. It shouldn't be a long SLAM. It's also the perfect time to change out your filter media.

Hi again, I ordered the test kit TF 100 xl with speed stirrer, to get ready for the pool drain and fill, hopefully should be happening next week. So here is my question, I change my media, sand, after the pool is empty, right?

Next question, when I slam it, do I need to have add stabilizer first and check my ph with my test kit, or do I test it first, then add stabilizer? Also I know I will need some bleach, so can I add stabilizer and then add bleach. Also do I need to keep the solar cover off when I slam?

How much bleach will I need to get started? I have a 30' round with 54" walls, flat bottom. I am going to measure how high the water is so I can make sure it is accurate in pool math too.
Sorry so many questions.

I just want to chime in and suggest that you probably don't need to change your sand if you are replacing all your water. Because you won't have to do the Baquacil conversion, you won't produce the goop and you won't ruin your current sand. Just make sure to rinse off your sand with plenty of water while the pool is empty. If anyone doesn't think this will work, please correct me.

Here's a thread where I brought this up before:

Opportunity to Convert Baquacil to Chlorine

I just want to chime in and suggest that you probably don't need to change your sand if you are replacing all your water. Because you won't have to do the Baquacil conversion, you won't produce the goop and you won't ruin your current sand. Just make sure to rinse off your sand with plenty of water while the pool is empty. If anyone doesn't think this will work, please correct me.

Here's a thread where I brought this up before:

Opportunity to Convert Baquacil to Chlorine

I would say.....you may not need to replace your sand if you're replacing all of your water. You will still need to follow the steps for converting even if you replace 100% of the water. There will still be some Baqua left in the plumbing, around the steps, and so forth. While you'll still need to preform the conversion however it will be MUCH easier as the Baqua levels will be almost nothing.....but there will still be some left in the water. The determining factor on if you'll need to replace your sand though is how well you are able to scrub down everything while it is drained. If almost all the Baqua is removed and your sand isn't "lumped together" then it's certainly worth a try to maintain it with only a good deep cleaning of the filter. If however after you convert if you run into filtering issues or rather large FC demand then it's worth changing out your sand as odds say the Baqua has ruined it.

I already purchased the sand, do I have to do a full bacquacil conversion if I empty water and change sand? I was just planning on doing the water change and changing the sand and then slamming it. We have only had bacquacil for a little over a month.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.