Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do any of the reagants go bad from the test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do any of the reagants go bad from the test kit?

0870 powder and 0871 drops
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do any of the reagants go bad from the test kit?

Eventually, yes they will go bad. As for when that will happen? It depends. If they are stored in a dark, temperature-controlled location, they will last considerably longer (up to about 2 years) than if they were stored in a hot outdoor shed or garage - even less if they are exposed to sunlight. The fresh 870 powder should be mostly white. If it has turned dark, I would replace it.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Everything stored in kitchen cabinet, in testkit case
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

My new 870 powder was dark when it got here. It looks different than the first one I had. I was wondering if that was normal...
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Do any of the reagants go bad from the test kit?

Interestingly. I still have a small amount of 0870 from last year that is dark...4 year old left it open and it got exposed to some humidity last summer...and new container that is almost white. Both gave me the exact same measurement.

My 0871 liquid reagant is from last year

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are getting the same measurement with both powders/reagents, I would continue to use them. I would just use the older ones first.

The 0870 powder will take on a light bluish/lavender hue over time. If that's the color you are seeing, I wouldn't sweat it. If it turns a dark blue/purple, then I would be more concerned. Even then, you can always do a comparison test using the older powder and the newer powder. If you get the same results, you can continue using the older powder with confidence.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.