Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH perplexed!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool PH perplexed!!

Hi guys!
    I have a question concerning the continuing rising of my pH in my pool despite all other chemicals at target! My pH measurement is 8.0 every few days even though I've been adding muriatic acid as called for. Also I am NOT aerating via water feature or otherwise.

my other numbers measured today are as follows:

FC 5
    CC 0
    TA 80
    CH 310
    CYA 80
    SALT 3400

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!
    In ground 12.5k gallons pebbletech
    Pentair Sta-Rite Intellipro Variable Speed Pump
    Pentair Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor salt chlorine generator
    2in plumbing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH perplexed!!

Well you should see a slight rise with a SWCG but I would not think that much. How new is the pool? I helped a friend find his pH rise. He had a crack in his pump basket lid. It did not leak water but when the pump was on it sucked air in. His pump basket was all bubbles.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

Lower the TA to 60 and keep the ph at 7.8

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Was your pool recently resurfaced? If so, this can cause pH to drift up more than what was previously normal for your pool. If not, it may be that the pH of your fill water is higher than most. Try testing a sample of fill water directly from the source as a baseline. It may also be that the happy medium pH for your pool tends to run on the high side. When I need to adjust pH in my pool, I bring it down to 7.2. It will quickly rise from there and settle between 7.6 and 7.8 and remain in that range for quite some time before I need adjust it - TA also remains steady at about 80. You could try lowering the TA to the lower end of the recommended range - 60-70 - and see if that helps.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool is only about 7 months old. 1st year in use. I'll try lowering my TA some more
    In ground 12.5k gallons pebbletech
    Pentair Sta-Rite Intellipro Variable Speed Pump
    Pentair Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor salt chlorine generator
    2in plumbing

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, lower TA as JamesW and Bo suggested. It takes about a year for the new plaster to fully cure and stop contributing to PH rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach