Hi from Hot Flower Mound

Jun 17, 2016
Dallas Texas
Been reading this site / forum over the past few months as I wanted to understand what I should know to cut the cord from the pool service company. So come August I will go DIY and leap in.

Why August, well we just had our pool which had 14 year old pitted rough and ugly white plaster resurfaced with Pebble Sheen Blue Surf and I am a little hesitate to jump right in. Attended a pool school last evening at the LPS and they skimmed over DIY pool chem servicing. Made it sound like you had to do a "pool system" and theirs was Poolife chems. I ordered a TF-100 kit just this evening.

As long as I am on, any thoughts on Endure or Pool Proof? Wife loves the water sparkle! I hate the cost.

Will fill in rest of profile soon

We usually recommend that people get the pool safe, sparkly and otherwise perfect and well balanced before adding borates. This can take a season or less, depending on how motivated the person is to get their chemistry spot-on. Most of what we use can be purchased economically at places other than pool stores, so you can also avoid the hard sell.

Some people use boric acid instead of borax, and you'll find threads about it on TFP. Glad to hear you have a test kit on the way. That's a great first step. :)

Welcome to TFP. You've taken the great first step of ordering the TF-100.

Since you just had your pool resurfaced, I would follow the resurfacing company's start-up / break-in procedures for the timeframe they have prescribed in order to preserve your warranty.

In addition to the advice above, I suggest taking some time to read over the pool school link in the upper right of this page, there is a lot of good information there, however it often takes 2 or 3 times through before it all starts making sense.