Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi from Hot Flower Mound

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi from Hot Flower Mound

Been reading this site / forum over the past few months as I wanted to understand what I should know to cut the cord from the pool service company. So come August I will go DIY and leap in.

Why August, well we just had our pool which had 14 year old pitted rough and ugly white plaster resurfaced with Pebble Sheen Blue Surf and I am a little hesitate to jump right in. Attended a pool school last evening at the LPS and they skimmed over DIY pool chem servicing. Made it sound like you had to do a "pool system" and theirs was Poolife chems. I ordered a TF-100 kit just this evening.

As long as I am on, any thoughts on Endure or Pool Proof? Wife loves the water sparkle! I hate the cost.

Will fill in rest of profile soon
    15K gal, Kidney shape, 15 x 30.5 x 5.3, Pebble Sheen Blue surf, Smallish desks on either end, connected to covered patio, Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair xxxxxx, TF-100
    New build at property with smaller yard.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi from Hot Flower Mound

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Those products add borates. You can read about it here:

So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

We usually recommend that people get the pool safe, sparkly and otherwise perfect and well balanced before adding borates. This can take a season or less, depending on how motivated the person is to get their chemistry spot-on. Most of what we use can be purchased economically at places other than pool stores, so you can also avoid the hard sell.

Some people use boric acid instead of borax, and you'll find threads about it on TFP. Glad to hear you have a test kit on the way. That's a great first step.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP. You've taken the great first step of ordering the TF-100.

Since you just had your pool resurfaced, I would follow the resurfacing company's start-up / break-in procedures for the timeframe they have prescribed in order to preserve your warranty.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Congrats in the new plaster.

Definitely follow the installers instructions.

Here are Pebbletec's instructions
    Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

And register your pool with Pebbletec for more start up directions and support
    Product Registration Pebble Tec
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In addition to the advice above, I suggest taking some time to read over the pool school link in the upper right of this page, there is a lot of good information there, however it often takes 2 or 3 times through before it all starts making sense.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~