Balancing water

Jun 17, 2016
Sparkman, AR
I've set up a new pool only to find out the swg was bad. By the time the new swg came the water was green. I've finally got the water to a nice cloudy color :(
I'm completely lost when reading the test results. I used the Taylor k-2006.

These are the readings I came up with:

FC 3.2
CC 1.0
PH 7
TA 30
CH 60
CYA 40

What is the next step to balance my pool water?
Please & Thank You!!!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your K-2006 tells me that for a CYA of 40, your "SLAM" FC level should be "16" to kill the algae. So increase the FC to 16 using regular liquid bleach - generic is fine. That's it! "Maintain" that FC of 16 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM page (link below). Don't forget to do the other daily items on that page as well for best success. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. If you are using the 25 ml sample for your FC testing to get reading down to .2 ppm you may want to consider using the 10ml sample that will give you results in .5 ppm increments to save on reagents. There is not much need to get your FC readings as precise as .2 ppm.

Initially, it takes just under 2 gallons to increase FC from zero to 16 in your size pool if the bleach is 8.25%. From there, it's a matter of adding regular bleach (generic is fine) every so often to maintain that FC level. If I were you, I would buy at least 5 gallons for today to get started. You'll soon establish a pattern of how quickly you need to add bleach throughout the day and learn how much more bleach you may need to last you a few days. Make sure the bleach is plain - not splashless or with any scents. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.