Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing water

I've set up a new pool only to find out the swg was bad. By the time the new swg came the water was green. I've finally got the water to a nice cloudy color
    I'm completely lost when reading the test results. I used the Taylor k-2006.

These are the readings I came up with:

FC 3.2
    CC 1.0
    PH 7
    TA 30
    CH 60
    CYA 40

What is the next step to balance my pool water?
    Please & Thank You!!!
    10000 gal above ground vinyl pool, SWG & sand pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing water

Hello and welcome to TFP! Your K-2006 tells me that for a CYA of 40, your "SLAM" FC level should be "16" to kill the algae. So increase the FC to 16 using regular liquid bleach - generic is fine. That's it! "Maintain" that FC of 16 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM page (link below). Don't forget to do the other daily items on that page as well for best success. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum. If you are using the 25 ml sample for your FC testing to get reading down to .2 ppm you may want to consider using the 10ml sample that will give you results in .5 ppm increments to save on reagents. There is not much need to get your FC readings as precise as .2 ppm.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any idea how much bleach i should pour in to get started? Like 3 gallons, 5 gallons?

5. Back To Top    #5

Initially, it takes just under 2 gallons to increase FC from zero to 16 in your size pool if the bleach is 8.25%. From there, it's a matter of adding regular bleach (generic is fine) every so often to maintain that FC level. If I were you, I would buy at least 5 gallons for today to get started. You'll soon establish a pattern of how quickly you need to add bleach throughout the day and learn how much more bleach you may need to last you a few days. Make sure the bleach is plain - not splashless or with any scents. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

ok thanks!!