Trying to rehab a pool that has not been opened in 7-15 years, Could use some help!

My husband and I moved in to an AS IS, fixer upper house built in 1959 May of last year. The old man who lived here before us passed away, and we have very little information to go on. One neighbor said the pool has not been opened in 15 years, the other said 7 or 8.
When we first got here it was more of a pond than a pool, with frogs abundantly around. The previous owner apparently used bleach to kill off mosquitos in the years prior, but with the wildlife, my husband thought it was a good idea to get fish instead, lol. We had a pool guy look at it at the end of season last year and what he told us was this:
The pool is concrete, with a liner around the sides.
It is 22ft x 40 ft oval diving pool (ladder entrance/no steps, shallow to very deep with a shallow ledge around the edge, you can see in the pictures)
He said it would need to be drained, power washed/cleaned, refilled, new filter, new pump, and he recommended a salt water system.
This year rolled around and I am now 6 months pregnant and desperate to open the pool as soon as possible. My husband and I are both very handy DIY's, my father in law is an electrician and we have a good friend as a plumber. We have not been able to reach the pool guy, so have started the process based on what we remember him saying.

We removed the wildlife, LOL, and drained the pool. My father in law has looked at the plumbing and seems to think we will be ok to set up the new filter and pump. We ordered a pump, filter, and salt water generator based on a recommendation from a pool supply company.

We think we are pretty set to go, but we cannot figure out how to clean it! We do not know what material the siding is made out of or how to repair the cracks in the siding. Im not sure what is best to use to re caulk the gaps between each of the siding pieces.

There are several fine cracks in the shallow end floor, and I'm not sure what is best to fill those in or if that is necessary.

When we power washed the sides, they look badly stained and the power washer chipped a little of the bottom. (all to be seen in the pics below)

We considered painting, but were not sure which kind to use, I would prefer not to if we can just clean, we are trying to be as budget concious as one can be with a pool, but if it is necessary, advise on what kind would be appreciated. It looks as though it has been painted before, you can see blue in some places where everything is white (or suppose to be)

We have no idea what we are doing and any help/advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

pics to go along with post: trying to rehab a pool not opened in 7-15 years

20160522_133205.jpgthe pool in the process of being drained
20160617_200119.jpglittle cracks in the shallow end (How do we fill/do we need to?)
20160617_200046.jpgthe shallow end siding has been power washed but still badly stained (what kind of material is it? do we need to paint it? how do we get the stains out?
20160617_200124.jpg half is power washed, other half not cleaned...what is the best product to seal the crack between siding pieces?
20160617_200129.jpghere is a close up of the power washed siding...do we need to fill the cracks in the siding? if so with what?

So lets make sure I am clear.........I see something blue on the side of the pool. Is that a cover or the old liner that you took out?

All of my ideas really depend on your answer to that question.

Kim:cat:

It is the old pool cover. I was told that the entire pool is concrete but there is a liner just around the edges (I believe he said that it is not vinyl but I cant remember what he said it was) That is what I am having a hard time cleaning and don't know how to repair :(

I am willing to bet you need a vinyl liner for that pool. The white strips look like it might be a liner hanger.

See picture number 3 above? What is the dark color stuff on the white stuff? Can you tell what the white stuff is made of?

I REALLY wish I were there to see and feel everything so I could figure out what it is LOL

How high was the swamp water when you took the cover off?

Trying hard to figure this out with you.

Kim:cat:

The way those seams are and that coping I too think there was a liner in that pool, in it's first life. With that coping, to me any type of tile is ruled out. From the look of the pictures it appears there was a liner and water had gotten pressed behind it and I think the darker spots are organics of some sort that were "suctioned into place". Temps of the day would have heated that liner, so it would have expanded and contracted (looks like seasonally). The organics got caught when it contracted and stained and cut in a bit. I think it finally gave way and you can see different degrees of the stages of evaporation as well as where is laid at the bottom and worked on that white backing ~ the liner and debris made messier spots where is puckered as things rotted away.

the pool guy who came last year specifically said it was not a vinyl lined pool. The white siding seems to be plastic or fiberglass or something?

the pool was filled above the jets last summer and we drained it to just under the skimmer and jets for the winter. The whole thing looked like a giant pond, with frogs and fish living inside dark green water.

early this summer we drained all the way, and the dark stuff on the siding is the algae that dried out in the sun...there is a little bit that looks darker in pic #3 but that is just because it is wet from the hose and the rest is dried

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if it helps but I believe the pool was built around the same time as the house which was 1959

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have seen other pools like this, with liners and some without.

Your white coping and lack of tile tells me this is a vinyl lined pool.

And it wouldn't be the first (or last) time a pool guy misidentified something/gave inaccurate advice.

Can we see a clear/sharp photo (possibly zoomed in or closeup) of the skimmer mouth? That would confirm exactly what it is.

When my liner was replaced last fall, the concrete looked cleaner but had similar small cracking here and there
and the pool co said that was not a problem and can happen with full concrete inground vinyl lined pools. (which they said were rare in this region)

the company that made my liner (Plastimayd) has been doing liners since the 60's. (I had no idea)

If it is indeed vinyl lined a new one will have to be custom measured and made. Mine had to be measured
and custom made and the cost was around $ 3,800 including installation.

A quick word of caution! if you have a high water table, your pool can float like a concrete boat. A coworker drained their pool and it popped right out the the ground. I would suggest getting a post hole digger ASAP and do a few test bores as deep as you can outside of the pool. If you have ground water, you need to get some pumps and remove the water from several holes around the pool before it starts to float out. Some scary pics here and here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.