Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Risks during slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Risks during slam

Are there any inherent risks by over chlorination during a slam?
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Risks during slam

Not as long as your FC level does not go too high over your corresponding (current) CYA. For example (basic example), if your CYA is 40 and SLAM FC level 16, you primarily want to stay around 16. You might overshoot from time to time (i.e. 20 or so) by dosing mistake, but a short-term thing like that will resolve itself quickly. What you don't want to do in that CYA example is increase your FC to something like 36 or 40 or more and keep it there. Those with liners run the risk of fading if left that way too long, and it's certainly not safe to swim when over the proper SLAM level. Does that help?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Risks during slam

Ok.. thats kinda what I thought.. Might have to run out for a few hours and was thinking of spiking it to 20 just to hold until I can get back to test...
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's