Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to Borate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to Borate?

Greetings -

Long time believer and user of TFP and now ready to borate. 55lbs of Duda boric acid arrived yesterday. Just took Taylor K2006 readings:

FC 3.0
    CC 0.0
    Ph 7.8
    TA 90
    CH 330
    CYA 50

Do these appear inline to go ahead and do the boric acid dump? Lamotte, Insta-Test Borate Test Strips, 3017-G arrive next week so I'll start with the 756 oz calculated in PoolMath for our 19,500 gallon marcite pool.

Thanks

Floridarandy
    15000 gal in-ground rectangular concrete/pebble-tech pool. Hot Springs Prodigy 325 gal spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to Borate?

Small amounts at a time and retest pH & TA until borate test strips arrive
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

3. Back To Top    #3

Boric acid has never affected my TA or my PH. If you are confident of your pool size (gallons), you can use PoolMath to get your borates to 50. It was incredibly accurate for me. Just dump the boric acid in and sweep it around. It'll all be dissolved in less than 10 minutes (for me anyway)

You might have to go slower and test, etc. using only borax and then acid. But I have found the boric acid from DudaDiesel to be well balanced and not affect any of my other numbers
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Normally, it is better for TA to be lower. Is your PH stable at 7.8?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you are adding borates to help stabilize pH, you may want to lower the TA before borating. Lowering it after will be much more difficult.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Lower TA best by MA?

15000 gal in-ground rectangular concrete/pebble-tech pool. Hot Springs Prodigy 325 gal spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Lowering TA is a process. It requires acid and aeration and takes some time. Do a bit of searching and you will find directions.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I happen to have the link right here, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

What is the optimum target TA before adding borates?

10. Back To Top    #10

It is usually 60-70. The real goal is for your PH to be relatively stable and not rise too quickly. So, we recommend lowering TA in steps of 10 and waiting to see how stable the PH is. If it still rises quickly then lower 10 more.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Good advice. I'll wait on the borates until I can get the TA down. I bought aerator today to use in helping raise pH as TA comes down.

12. Back To Top    #12

We're borated! Added 38 pounds Duda Boric Acid this afternoon. Prior to addition:

TA: 65
    Ph: 7.6
    Post addition:

TA: 65
    Ph 7.4

Borates by test strip show 30+. Will wait for tomorrow to test again. Obvious variable is gallons of pool. Will add in small 1 lb levels if still at 30+ until test strips show 50.

Because of all the close monitoring of TFP levels pool is as beautiful as its ever been.

QUESTION: Pump currently running at 11 hrs/day. What might a lower pump run time be with 50 Borate?

Thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

Most folks split it up for better skimming. 2-3 hours AM and 2-3 hours PM. If the pool is clean shorten the time if it isn't increase it.
    TFP Moderator