Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum and starting a new build

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the forum and starting a new build

Hi all. I have succumbed to my wife and allowed a pool to be put in my backyard. I grew up with a pool and know it will be me out there cleaning it in the winter /sigh (c;

After much thought and deliberation, I think this is what I want to do and would be interested in any thoughts or comments.

I live in Columbia, SC.

16x34x25 (Lagoon) Vinyl IG pool. 6' deep, the spec sheet for the pool lists it at 14800 gallons. Intelli Chlor SWG, 320 C&C Plus filter, Intelli Flo pump, Pentair Legend cleaner. I have prices but no model numbers for the pump, etc.

Pics of the tree rmoval are here http://picasaweb.google.com/cjyarbor...zpgPO57t7DwQE#
    Clint
    Pics of the build process
    34x16x25 Lagoon IG Vinyl 14,800gal (Oxford Tile/Glimmerglass 20mil)
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New to the forum and starting a new build

First, a big welcome to the forum. We all truly like new builds and hope you'll pepper us with lots of questions and lots of pictures.

and know it will be me out there cleaning it in the winter /sigh
    Yeah, been there done that! My wife said if I built it, she would maintain it.......once again proving the superior brainpower of the female
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

and so it begins (Monday morning):

and ends (Monday Morning):

22 tons of rock were ordered but late so the digger left to go dig another pool (which ended up being worse of a dig than mine).

Tuesday morning things get moving again:

Clint
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I remeber the mess well. When its said and done the amount of time looking at dirt piles was worth it. Pool School at the top of the page is well worth the time spent now. Get a good test kit, also spelled out in Pool School.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll love your IC-40. And YES, get a good test kit...worth the weight in gold. TFP really got me well on my way with new pool water this spring....now the SWG is doing its thing (but I still test all the time), and the pool is happy (me, too).
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Howdy neighbor and welcome to the forum

Looks like another exciting build! We hope that you will continue to keep us updated with lots of pix

Hey, our pool temp was 86* yesterday, so hurry up!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all. I've read Pool School twice now and forwarded it along to my Dad for his pool as well. I'm planning on getting the TF kit after comparing the options. I wonder if I can get my PB to give me that one instead (c;
    As we speak the frame is being installed and the collar is supposed to be poured today since Noah called and said my ark was a bit off schedule. I'm hoping the impending weather will be like one of our many "snow days" this year. I'll get pictures up on the frame tonight or tomorrow.
    Concrete sub is meeting me at the house in the morning to price out my decking.

Butterfly, I was in the neighbors pool after work with my two sons. 86 doesn't seem as warm as I remembered, especially when the sun is down (c; As a child I remember as soon as the pool at 68 we were in it.
    Clint

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by awarsoca
    Butterfly, I was in the neighbors pool after work with my two sons. 86 doesn't seem as warm as I remembered, especially when the sun is down (c; As a child I remember as soon as the pool at 68 we were in it.
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean. The older I get the warmer I want my pool!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

form and collar:

The floor and liner might be in Saturday, depending on the weather. Backfill Monday maybe with concrete going in later next week.
    Clint

10. Back To Top    #10

and so at 0715 this morning the doorbell rings. I'm up but haven't even hardly had the coffee in my system and the doorbell rings. THis picture is about 30 minutes later:

Pool Base completed:

pulling the liner:

taping the vacuum on:

Clint

11. Back To Top    #11

NICE! Can't wait to see it completed!

8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Coming along pretty quickly. On mine after the back fill, I ran a soaker hose around the pool. The amount of settling was impressive, especially around the steps. Many wheelbarrows of dirt to fill it in. Just something I did.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

13. Back To Top    #13

me and the garden hoses and my old boots are going to get real familiar with the dirt around my bool soon (c:
    My neighbor and my concrete guy (i subbed the 'rete myself) all have told me to soak the dirt and help compact it before we form and pour the deck.
    Clint

14. Back To Top    #14

Ever thought about flowable back fill? It reaches maximum compaction in 24 hours and you dont have to worry about settling.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S
    Ever thought about flowable back fill? It reaches maximum compaction in 24 hours and you dont have to worry about settling.
    I hadn't but I wish i had earlier in the process. Would save on the headache. The good news iI have a lot of sandy soil with some clay and kaolin mixed in in a large pile in my yard. I am also lucky enought that my PB is doing another job in my neighborhood and that site has to haul dirt off. They have already paid for some to be hauled off and now if I need some extra red clay, I can get it this week :P
    Clint

16. Back To Top    #16

Care to elaborate?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Its a concrete type product. It 's brought in a concrete truck and flows like cement. However, it doesnt set up like cement. You can dig it out just like dirt at anytime.
    You can order it with variable strengths that allow excavation with a tool as easy as a shovel or as large as a 300 excavator.

http://www.flowablefill.org/

18. Back To Top    #18

Its a concrete type product. It 's brought in a concrete truck and flows like cement. However, it doesnt set up like cement. You can dig it out just like dirt at anytime.
    You can order it with variable strengths that allow excavation with a tool as easy as a shovel or as large as a 300 excavator.

http://www.flowablefill.org/

Priced it yesterday at $70-$85 a cubic yard + pump + cleanup for me so it was a no go )c:
    Clint

19. Back To Top    #19

Yea, its about double the price of good dirt backfill.

20. Back To Top    #20

WHOOHOO Backfill:

Clint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast