New Pool build Prairieville, La

Apr 27, 2016
prairieville/la
Deciding on a PB was tough with all the bad stories out there. But I feel I made the right choice. Things are finally getting moving. They shot gunite today and once they left I noticed a small crack on the bottom step. Looks like the new guy who was broom sweeping stepped on the edge on his way out of pool. Is this repairable?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 283
Your pool gunite will have some cracks in it. You do need to water with it for about 10 days twice a day. Talk to your PB about this. It helps it cure. This will help it from cracking too bad.

Your plaster will fill in the cracks so no real worries.

Kim:cat:

Nice design! We just passed gunite and got to the tile/coping stage. I think you're doing really well if that's the only crack you've noticed. We had a ton. I think it's normal for what its function and your plaster will cover all of that. Can't wait to watch your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I am hoping everything turns out how I imagine it. Here are a few more pictures of construction. On a side note I plan to talk with PB tomorrow about the depth and slope of pool. It seems it's to deep to fast. I wanted a nice play area for my children but it gets to 5 ft way to quick. Just by looking at the plans it seems the 3.5-4.5 area should extend further out. So any advice on what to expect the PB will respond with? Can you shoot gunite over existing shell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I'd like to take credit for that but my wife was in charge of materials lol. Lots of workers out yesterday doing tile and deck. A few pics of the progress. A few hours after they left I was looking at the deck and noticed a crack in the concrete that ran from the coping to the edge. I know concrete cracks but this seemed fast. I am going to bring it up to PB, but I wanted to see if anyone here could give me their opinions on how to handle it. It will have sundek over it and the wire mesh may hold it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You should be misting that as soon as it is set up. I'll admit that is quick for a shrinkage crack, but if your mesh is continuous it shouldn't "open up". Keep it damp for at least three days to avoid more cracks. We'll see what it looks like in a week and then you can decide what to do with it.

I'm going to guess this occurred right in that skinny spot in the deck, right?

Yep. Right in that skinny part. Thanks for the advice on wetting it. This whole process is a great learning experience. Now for my next question lol. I notice the transition from coping to deck looked off. Is putting a control joint around the perimeter of pool normal or should it always be an expansion joint there?

So I have read the start up procedures in the other forums. Great information. When I was talking to PB this morning going over steps when pool gets full. He mentioned adding chlorine today. All the startup information says no chlorine in first 48 hours. But it doesn't say why? Any ideas why it shouldn't be added in first 48? I'd like to be more knowledgeable when I talk to PB about his startup procedure.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I know you said you have read it but I wanted to put it here so others can see it when they read your thread. I have not really thought about the WHY of not adding FC. I will ask our go to person for plaster to come over and answer for both of us.

If your PB does the acid wash then add water the same day you can swim IF the PB says it is okay. The no swimming is if they do the acid in water start up.

Lets see what OnBalance (Kim) says.

Kim:cat:

Delaying the addition of chlorine is a precaution for the possibility of metals in the tap water. Waiting allows for chelating or sequester chemicals to remove the dissolved metal and filter it out. If the tap water doesn't contain metals, and in particular, iron, then there is no problem with adding a small dose of chlorine.

You can swim anytime once the pool water is balanced and sanitized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.