Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool build Prairieville, La

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool build Prairieville, La

Deciding on a PB was tough with all the bad stories out there. But I feel I made the right choice. Things are finally getting moving. They shot gunite today and once they left I noticed a small crack on the bottom step. Looks like the new guy who was broom sweeping stepped on the edge on his way out of pool. Is this repairable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool build Prairieville, La

Your pool gunite will have some cracks in it. You do need to water with it for about 10 days twice a day. Talk to your PB about this. It helps it cure. This will help it from cracking too bad.

Your plaster will fill in the cracks so no real worries.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Trying to add a few more pictures but it seems I only have 250kb? How do other people post more?

4. Back To Top    #4

Two ways:

Become a supporting member. The details for all the good stuff you get for doing so is in this link:

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

You can also use Photo bucket but you risk losing your photos if they go down. Use the IMG code if you pick this way.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice design! We just passed gunite and got to the tile/coping stage. I think you're doing really well if that's the only crack you've noticed. We had a ton. I think it's normal for what its function and your plaster will cover all of that. Can't wait to watch your progress.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. I am hoping everything turns out how I imagine it. Here are a few more pictures of construction. On a side note I plan to talk with PB tomorrow about the depth and slope of pool. It seems it's to deep to fast. I wanted a nice play area for my children but it gets to 5 ft way to quick. Just by looking at the plans it seems the 3.5-4.5 area should extend further out. So any advice on what to expect the PB will respond with? Can you shoot gunite over existing shell?

7. Back To Top    #7

yes they can shoot over it. In fact there is one where they did just that:

New Pool w/ Falls Slide in Baton Rouge, LA - Page 8

Kim

8. Back To Top    #8

Coming along nicely outside of the rain. Decided to not raise floor. PB was more than willing, but the kids will grow and I like it the way it is. Tile guys been wearing out their saw with all these cuts.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey at least with the rain you do not have to use the hose as much! LOL

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Very nice! Love the tile choices. Pretty!

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you. I'd like to take credit for that but my wife was in charge of materials lol. Lots of workers out yesterday doing tile and deck. A few pics of the progress. A few hours after they left I was looking at the deck and noticed a crack in the concrete that ran from the coping to the edge. I know concrete cracks but this seemed fast. I am going to bring it up to PB, but I wanted to see if anyone here could give me their opinions on how to handle it. It will have sundek over it and the wire mesh may hold it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

12. Back To Top    #12

You should be misting that as soon as it is set up. I'll admit that is quick for a shrinkage crack, but if your mesh is continuous it shouldn't "open up". Keep it damp for at least three days to avoid more cracks. We'll see what it looks like in a week and then you can decide what to do with it.

I'm going to guess this occurred right in that skinny spot in the deck, right?

13. Back To Top    #13

It appears to be a shrinkage crack. Water water water. Probably should have had one more control joint on that inside curve but concrete cracks. That's what it does.

My Construction Thread
    47' X 32' freeform. 1056 sq ft, 45k gal. Jandy ePump 2hp main, ePump 2hp for waterfall/slide. 400kBTU jXi Heater. 400 Cartrdige filter, iAqualink

14. Back To Top    #14

Yep. Right in that skinny part. Thanks for the advice on wetting it. This whole process is a great learning experience. Now for my next question lol. I notice the transition from coping to deck looked off. Is putting a control joint around the perimeter of pool normal or should it always be an expansion joint there?
    40 x 16 gunite pool 600 sq. ft. , 8'spa, Hayward SWG, Hayward 525 filter, 4 LED color lights, Hayward variable speed pump, 1hp pump for water features, travertine coping, sundek, omnilogic control

15. Back To Top    #15

So I have read the start up procedures in the other forums. Great information. When I was talking to PB this morning going over steps when pool gets full. He mentioned adding chlorine today. All the startup information says no chlorine in first 48 hours. But it doesn't say why? Any ideas why it shouldn't be added in first 48? I'd like to be more knowledgeable when I talk to PB about his startup procedure.

16. Back To Top    #16

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I know you said you have read it but I wanted to put it here so others can see it when they read your thread. I have not really thought about the WHY of not adding FC. I will ask our go to person for plaster to come over and answer for both of us.

If your PB does the acid wash then add water the same day you can swim IF the PB says it is okay. The no swimming is if they do the acid in water start up.

Lets see what OnBalance (Kim) says.

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Delaying the addition of chlorine is a precaution for the possibility of metals in the tap water. Waiting allows for chelating or sequester chemicals to remove the dissolved metal and filter it out. If the tap water doesn't contain metals, and in particular, iron, then there is no problem with adding a small dose of chlorine.

You can swim anytime once the pool water is balanced and sanitized.

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you for the response. I will mention that when we have our discussion. Here are a few pics from yesterday.

40 x 16 gunite pool 600 sq. ft. , 8'spa, Hayward SWG, Hayward 525 filter, 4 LED color lights, Hayward variable speed pump, 1hp pump for water features, travertine coping, sundek, omnilogic control

19. Back To Top    #19

Looking great!!
    12 x 24 Buried AGP 6,800 Gallons | Intex 16" Sand Filter | Intex Krystal Clear SWG
    Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer | TF-100 Test Kit |Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale