Has anyone used Lightstream Glass Tiles?

Oh yeah, I used them! A lot more of them than I first planned! Lol!!

I had a very good experience with the company, but that was a year ago. I'll let nursenini share her more recent experience.

You can see mine using the build link in my signature. Our top 2 choices were the steel blue and the peacock. We went with the peacock which worked better for us. The steel blue would have been too dark for my other materials. Also, I used the 1.5x2" tiles which I like.

What other questions do you have? Do you want me to spill my thoughts on them - what would I do differently and the same? I don't want to overload you with my opinions if that's not what you want. :sun:

I

Suz,

I absolutely want your opinions, would you do it again? ease of installation?

spill it :)

Ok.....

Glad I didn't:
* use the LS tile as my waterline tile in the pool area. I started out only planning to use it on the waterline for the spa which I did. It's ok there, but it doesn't give me the bang for the buck I thought it would. It doesn't show up as much - the sun has to be just perfect to make them sparkle and glimmer and that means the sun doesn't sit there long enough. And after almost 11 months of the pool filled, I am getting some scum/scale showing on the glass waterline tiles in the spa. I have a neutral waterline tile for the pool. Either my robot gets those clean or it doesn't show as much. I clean the spa tiles with diluted muriatic acid which works pretty well. It's not difficult, but I'm so glad I don't have to do that with the entire pool.

Wish I hadn't:
* used the LS tile under the sheer descents. There is some scale build up right under the openings which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It always looks like the sheer descents shoot out far enough not to even touch the tiles. I've watched them when I turn them off, and it seems they stop running immediately. But obviously there is some drippage. Again, easy enough to clean with the MA, but I'd rather not have to. I'm old and lazy.

Glad I did:
* use the LS tile on the benches in our spa. OMG I love that look! Being flat they always sparkle and glimmer even at night with lights shining in our backyard. And being underwater, there's no issue with any sort of build up. Our tile guy left the edges of the spa with the plaster which gives a secure, not going to slip feeling. My friends say they like the feel of sitting on the tile better than if it were the plaster. I'm not sure I really would have noticed the difference if I didn't know better. But the glass tiles do feel nice.
* use our extra LS tiles to trim under the waterline tile in the pool. I probably wouldn't purposely spend money to do that, but since we had extra that just fit the bill, I like them. For the most part they don't show when you're outside the pool since they are underwater, but I enjoy them when I'm in the pool.
* use the LS tiles on the spa spillway. It really is pretty and catches the sun much more than the waterline tile because it's on the slant. I have a coping stone (travertine) lip or ledge at the bottom of the spillway to give me a bit of a waterfall. The PB wasn't going to do that, but I told him I wanted some splash there. He said usually with glass tiled spillways, they don't do that. Then the water spilling over would just hug the wall down into the pool water. That's a pretty look, too, but I wanted more sound. Next time, I would build the lip to jut out an inch more to give more drop into the pool. I have a 2speed pump. On high the waterfall works great. On low, it's a little wimpy. A vs pump might have taken care of that.

Wish I had:
* spent a lot less on the peacock tiles and spent a bunch more on the Shell Beach glass tile. They are without a doubt my absolute favorite. I have them trimming the sun shelf and the step-out on my deep end bench. It's really just personal taste. I absolutely love the variety of colors, patterns, and shapes with the Shell Beach. I can just stand or tread water and look at them for ages. They are also very unique and get the most comments from our guests or anyone (workers, etc) who comes into the pool area. They make me smile!!! But cute and varied shapes and colors may not be your thing. I was an elementary teacher for most of my career, so maybe that's why I get such a kick out of them - like that big box of crayons! Lol!!! Next pool, I would use them to trim all my steps, benches, etc. They really sparkle in the sun - being on a flat surface helps with that.

Finally..... I think next time I would go with one of the tiles at the local tile stores. I think it's Arctic Lagoon that I love in the build pictures here on TFP. I'll check that in a minute. I think it's Phil's build and I know Appelbe's build used the one I'm thinking of. I love the whole look of that glass tile, and I would have saved some money, too. Then, I would have bought a ton of Shell Beach LS tiles for trim!

One other thing, with the Peacock LS tile, I used Blue Granite. I think I could have made a better match with a different plaster color - what I have just doesn't go together like I thought they would. Again, I think it's Phil's build that has such a great match between plaster and glass tile.

To make it easier, I'm posting a few of the pictures which show what I mentioned.

tiles on the spa benches

the spa spillover water falling off the lip under the tile

the Shell Beach LS tiles trimming the sun shelf. This is before the pool was filled. I don't think I have a good picture of these under water. You can also see the glass tile trim under the waterline tile just above the floor of the sun shelf.

the glass tile trim under the waterline tile in the pool area - before water filled.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope this helps!

Here are a few links that might be helpful.

philboyj's build - Arctic Lagoon glass tile
Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016 - Page 11

appelbe's build - each page of this thread has some great photos of his pool - Arctic Lagoon glass tile
New pool build in Houston, TX - Page 4

spool's build - he used the Blue Steel LS glass tile - gorgeous tile and great match with the plaster color; pages 7, 8, and 9 seem to have the best pictures of the LS glass with his pool
New in-ground pool - Boston, MA. Lots of pics - Page 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.