Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump and Filter mismatched?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump and Filter mismatched?

Hey everyone. I have a 24' AGP and I'm in the process of converting from filter to sand. One of the members here recommended a 300lb Hayward sand filter (S244) along with a Hayward (SP1592) 1hp 2 speed pump if I chose to replace my Proline 1.5hp 2 speed pump. On eBay I found both Hayward products from "saveonpoolsupplies" and the total is about $500. I messaged them to see if they had a one auction combo with both of the products and they mentioned that the pump I was looking at is AG while the filter is IG and they are mismatched. Is this correct and if so is it a problem? If it is what other pump and filter should I be looking at?

***My pump and filter will be approx 15' away from my pool, so about 30' of piping to and from. I plan to plumb in 1.5" pvc piping below the frost line.

-Judd

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump and Filter mismatched?

A filter can not be AG or IG ... it is just a filter

They probably think that AG filters are smaller, but when you have a lot of water, a bigger filter is needed.

You will be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just because one is labeled AG and the other IG doesn't mean they're mismatched. 1 HP is plenty for your sized filter. You'll get better filtration if your pump isn't oversized for your filter anyway. The only part that might be awkward is the fittings to hook the pump exit to the multiport valve, depending on the style of the fittings and adapters on each.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    A filter can not be AG or IG ... it is just a filter

They probably think that AG filters are smaller, but when you have a lot of water, a bigger filter is needed.

You will be fine.
    Haha this is why I joined this forum Thank you, I appreciate it.

-Judd
    24' Round AGP / 15,000 Gal / Hayward Powerflow 1HP 2SPD / Hayward S244T Sand Filter / Pool Rover Jr. / TF100 / ...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Just because one is labeled AG and the other IG doesn't mean they're mismatched. 1 HP is plenty for your sized filter. You'll get better filtration if your pump isn't oversized for your filter anyway. The only part that might be awkward is the fittings to hook the pump exit to the multiport valve, depending on the style of the fittings and adapters on each.
    Thanks for the response and input. I'm hoping I don't run into issues with the fittings. I figured if worse comes to worse I can get different size in/out adapters at Lowes or Home Depot. Sometimes I feel the pump/filter combo is overkill for my under 15000 gallon pool when i see your sigs with almost the same pump setups and similar filters with double or more pool.

-Judd
    24' Round AGP / 15,000 Gal / Hayward Powerflow 1HP 2SPD / Hayward S244T Sand Filter / Pool Rover Jr. / TF100 / ...

6. Back To Top    #6

My filter is certainly undersized for my pool. I have a 500 lb filter and I wish I had a 700 pound or larger. I had to go with the 27" filter for my pool simply because of space reasons on my pad. Wish I could have put the 31" filter in. Your old pump was oversized for your pool and you'll save a little more $ on electricity with the new one. Bigger is always better for filters!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons