Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper CYA level

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper CYA level

The climate in which I lived previously was not as hot and did not have the direct sunlight experienced here in central MS (i.e. further north). I used to maintain my CYA between 30-50 ppm, and this is what pool school recommends. In an environment with greater temperatures and more direct sunlight, should the CYA be maintained a little higher to help protect the chlorine? Say 60-80 ppm? Curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pac-Fab Triton TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper CYA level

Try 60ppm first and see how that affects your FC each day. If you feel you are having to add to frequently (assuming your daily FC loss isn't too high and due to an algae problem) then increase to 70ppm.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a screen enclosure, it will have a effect too since it reduces the amount of sun rays received. A screen enclosure blocks about 30% of the sun.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

How much is too frequently? Right now I am adding about a gallon of bleach per day to maintain 7 ppm FC with a CYA of 65. The pool does see full sun with a water temp in the high 80's/low 90's for sure.
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pac-Fab Triton TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Consider 2-3ppm daily loss expected. If your loss is more, raising the CYA is a prudent thing to do. How are you testing?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmmm, I'm not too far off that. I'm losing somewhere around 3-4 ppm daily. I guess I could increase CYA a bit. Testing with a Taylor K-2005. FAS/DPD reagents are on their way.

7. Back To Top    #7

...and your water is sparkling clear...right? If you start testing with the FAS-DPD test and your FC drops more, and your CCs rise up it says something is in your water chewing up your FC. Always be on the look-out for that.

Good job ordering the FAS-DPD tester!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm actually losing somewhere between 6-8 ppm FC per day. It's clear to 4-5 feet, but has never fully cleared since opening this year. My CC is only 0.29. The previous owner had painted it and all of those paint chips are now flaking off. Perhaps could be contributing to cloudiness? I'm wondering if I should raise my CYA a little due to the sunlight, heat, and FC loss. Also, if in really hot and sunny environments the CYA should be above 50, why does Pool school not mention this?

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you need to perform an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) to determine if the cloudiness is the chipping paint or something eating away at your chlorine. Algae will do that for sure. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Can you vacuum to waste the bottom to get the paint chips out? After you've brushed the sides well of course.

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do. I will perform the OCLT tonight.

Yes I can vacuum the paint chips to waste, but they keep coming. They are incessant. It will be a constant battle until I get my pool resurfaced next year...

11. Back To Top    #11

Depending on the type of paint used, you may not be able to pass an OCLT but it is still worth doing. The chipping paint represents a constant debris load but it could also be adding to your chlorine demand as well. See what the OCLT tells you and we'll try to help you figure this out.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

I got my answer (at least part of it). I came home from work yesterday afternoon and my FC was 1. There was obviously something in the water chewing up my chlorine. So I started a slam. The water already looks better this morning. That being said, I know it will be a constant battle with the chipping paint until the pool is resurfaced next year. I hate pool paint.

13. Back To Top    #13

The water is now clear and I can see the bottom of the deep end. Took my sand filter about five days to clean up. Using a lot less chlorine as well. Seems I did have some residual algae since opening that is hopefully now gone for the season. Thanks for the help.