Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another CYA Test Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Another CYA Test Question

After some really high FC usage during the day (around 8 ppm) and no significant FC loss on an OCLT I'm questioning my CYA testing.

This video says 'back to the sun' but is shown opposite. Should the test tube be in the sun or in my shadow? It makes a difference when testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs&t=0m34s

Granted it's really sunny and hot here lately, but this is making me think my CYA is much lower than I think.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another CYA Test Question

HAHA!!!!.... Great Catch!! I must have watched that video a dozen times (13 now). I never noticed he was standing into the sun which is the exact contrast to instructions. But it does look like he must have turned around at some point. The close ups of the tube is clearly shaded.

Back to the sun is the proper way according to this site. The test tube should be in your body's shadow.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Well my unexplained high FC usage can at least be explained now. I just tested my CYA and I'm down at or under 20. On June 4, it was 50. I'll be doing the bucket test to see if I have a leak. No idea where it could have gone otherwise....
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

5. Back To Top    #5

If your FC spent some time below minimum then some bacteria could have consumed some of the CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    If your FC spent some time below minimum then some bacteria could have consumed some of the CYA.
    I started a new discussion here. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...udden-CYA-Loss

FC was below min for a few hours.