How Many Hours Per Day for the pump?

May 17, 2009
While we have our pool open now and THANK YOU to TFP, our water is crystal clear, my question is:

How many hours per day do you run your pump and filter? 24x7? During the day only? During the night only?

Thanks, Jeri

I typically run mine 8 hours in the summer. 4 in the morning, 4 in the evening. It depends on how long it takes to 'turn over' your water (Run it all thru the filter at least once)

There's not really a set answer to your question because it depends on so many different rate limiting factors.

I run mine for four hours a day. I know that my water turns over at least once with this amount of time. It also gives the cleaner a chance to really cover everything too. I run mine in the early morning and will also run it on demand for an hour or so after the sun sets if I am adding chems.

Based on your pump size and pool size, someone will probably be able to give you a ballpark starting point on how long to run your pump. Generally, you can run the pump for less and less time each day, testing the water and observing the clarity of your water all the while, until you reaching a break point where you know that the water is no longer staying as clean as it normally would. Then you know what the best run time is for your particular pool.

The rule of thumb I ~ follow is 1 hour/ 10* high temp of the day. It'd be better to split the run time so that you have the pool running while folks are likely to be using it and then a run at night when no one's using it to really let the chlorine do it's job :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.